HELP! Silkie colors...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shhgirl, Jul 24, 2013.

1. shhgirl

shhgirl In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    So I've been googling and its so confusing and scientific. HAHA. can someone in dumbmans terms tell me what colors + what color = what color? For all possible combinations??

Example:

white + black = 50% xyz, 50% abc
    white + white =
    white + splash =
    white + buff =
    white + porcelain =
    so on so forth...

black + buff =
    black + paint =

blah blah blah

Does anyone know? I'm just trying to make a simple chart like so that has every color option.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are really no answers for the mixes you listed; it is/will always be a guessing game, and will vary by individual birds. White always hides what is underneath it. Colour and pattern-wise, two whites can be completely different genetically. Blacks can have a varied genetic recipe as solid black birds can be built on all e-alleles if you add sufficient melanizers, and when you cross to a non-black, you will lose melanizers, so what you get can vary dramatically. Buff is a complicated recipe, and there are several different gene combinations to achieve buff.

Breeding a procelain to anything that does not carry lavender will remove the dilute appearance.

There is one predictable combination you listed. paint X black will give you mostly paints and blacks, plus maybe a few oddities, depending on the specific birds and their genetic ancestry.

The genetics of chicken colours/patterns is very complicated. There is no way to make a simple chart. Your best bet is to use the chicken calculator.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  3. shhgirl

shhgirl In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    the chicken calculator link doesn't work??

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It does for me. Maybe something in your setup prevents links from working? You can try googling "chicken calculator."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: