HELP!! Silkie Emergency!

Pics

NorthernChick1

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Ontario, Canada
One of my four silkie has always acted wierd and figity compared tocthe others. sometimes when held its head would do a 180. Now its doing this and wont stop!

I wanted to download a video but its not working so here are photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181014-130239_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20181014-130239_Video Player.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20181014-130248_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20181014-130248_Video Player.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Looks like wry-neck. If it's not an injury, then it's usually a vitamin deficiency (Selenium and Vitamin E,) often in the parent stock. Both are available pretty inexpensively over-the-counter at most local pharmacies, including WalMart. If it's a vitamin issue, then it can be a pretty easy fix, but it takes a long time! The good part is that, if the vitamin treatment is going to work, you should see a marked difference in the first 24-48 hours.

When my Herman (blue splash silkie) had wry neck as a chick, we gave him the vitamin mixture dissolved in water, using an eyedropper at first. We had to hold his head up to get it into him, but that way, we could track just how much he swallowed. You'll likely need to do the same thing, for both her meds and her food.water until she can do it all on her own.
We had to hand feed Herman for nearly four days before I trusted that he was getting enough on his own. We kept up the vitamins in his water for at least two weeks after his symptoms disappeared. He's now just over a year old and has never looked back (or upside down?) again, so there is hope!
Good Luck - and keep us posted!

Looks like wry-neck. If it's not an injury, then it's usually a vitamin deficiency (Selenium and Vitamin E,) often in the parent stock. Both are available pretty inexpensively over-the-counter at most local pharmacies, including WalMart. If it's a vitamin issue, then it can be a pretty easy fix, but it takes a long time! The good part is that, if the vitamin treatment is going to work, you should see a marked difference in the first 24-48 hours.

When my Herman (blue splash silkie) had wry neck as a chick, we gave him the vitamin mixture dissolved in water, using an eyedropper at first. We had to hold his head up to get it into him, but that way, we could track just how much he swallowed. You'll likely need to do the same thing, for both her meds and her food.water until she can do it all on her own.
We had to hand feed Herman for nearly four days before I trusted that he was getting enough on his own. We kept up the vitamins in his water for at least two weeks after his symptoms disappeared. He's now just over a year old and has never looked back (or upside down?) again, so there is hope!
Good Luck - and keep us posted!
should i separate her and maybe bring her in the house? If she needs selenium and must be handfed maybe i should? Is selenium a liquid?

It's not contagious, but if one has a deficiency, then they all may. It would be a good idea to give the others a general vitamin designed for poultry - around here, it's under $10 for a largish bottle at feed stores. I use Tractor Supply for basic stuff like that, but any feed store should have something.
If you can, I'd bring the little one inside, or at least to a covered, climate controlled area with easy access for you. I recommend bringing in a pair, to keep your little one's stress level down. It will also make reintegration easier. I had Herman inside because he was a solo hatch and still in the brooder. It was definitely easier to keep track of him and his feedings/progress.

And on a lighter note ... Herman is over a year old now ... and still in the house, at least at night! With all the extra treatment and attention, he is WAY beyond spoiled. He has no idea that he's a chicken, and personally, I'm okay with that!

I have to go pick up my kids, now, so I'll be offline for a bit, but I'll check back later to see how you're doing. Good Luck!

And yes, the Vitamin E comes in liquid gel caps. The Selenium was a hard pill, but it crushed easily. I put a half of each in about an ounce of water and kept giving it to him by eyedropper. Once he started eating, I put it in applesauce.
thank you! ill go buy everything tomorrow! i gave her water with aple cider vinegar with a syringe because its so bad she cant eat or drink by herself... i dont know how i will administer food though.

Back
Top Bottom