HELP! Silkie Rooster Choking!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BooeyBird, Nov 18, 2013.

1. BooeyBird

BooeyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    HELP! My polish pullet was acting very sickly, so I took her inside and helped her. (she is doing much better now) but when i put her back with the rest of the flock, I gave them some apple to eat. A few minutes later I came outside to my silkie rooster stretching his neck out with his beak open, looking as if trying to cough somthing up. Just minutes before he was perfectly fine. He started wobbling around and falling down. I brought him inside and started massaging his crop area. He kept falling on his side and laying there, looking very much dead. I actually thought he was dead one time. The odd thing is, he was breathing still. I gave him some olive oil and it helped a tiny bit. After the olive oil he didn't fall on his side anymore but kept falling still. He currently is back in his pen with his ladies. But, he still is acting very sick. What is this and how do I treat it? This happened to him once before with his feed, but he coughed this huge glob up after I massaged his crop. He will not cough anything up now.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you leaving the apples whole so they can peck small pieces? It sounds as though a large piece of apple has blocked his airway for a time, and now is beyond the airway stuck farther down. Do they have access to grit? I would put some out for him now. Keep massaging his crop, and getting him to drink water. I would look inside his throat with some help, in case you could pull a piece of it out.

3. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    I chop the apples into large peices for them to peck at. I think he tried to swallow one whole! I looked down his throat but couldn't see anything I could pull out. He seems to be acting better now but still not normal. He won't let me open his beak anymore.

4. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    He is acting fine now, just very tired. I think that is normal though, because this is the time he usually goes to bed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by