help; silkie with beak open

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JFG, Jul 27, 2010.

1. JFG

JFG Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    I have been acclimating a silkie to an outdoor wire cage. This morning I let her wander around the yard., She got a few earthworms, some sunflower seeds and then I put her in the cage with a grape and 3 slices of zucchinni. A bit later, I looked out the window and saw her jump like she had been bitten by something. i went out and her eyes were half closed and she ws sitting. I picked her up; her beak was open, breathing normally. She did not make much of a fuss and I brought her to her inside cage. She has been relatively still, moving a bit and her beak remains open. Does anyone have any idea what could have happend to her? A friend with chickens suggested crop impaction. DOes that happen suddenely? She was eating plants in the yard. Could it be a toxin? Thanks for your comments.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Very strange....could she have been stung by a bee in the mouth? Can you see anything inside her mouth that is red or irritated? I'm really at a loss......

3. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    maybe stressed or hot?

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:That is my thought as well.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens pant (just like dogs do) when they're hot. Sometimes I bring our feather footed girls indoors to help them cool off a bit because they seem to mind the heat more than my other breeds. Often they'll continue to pant for some time after I bring them indoors. It takes a while for body temperature to go back down.

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    If it *is* heat, make sure to give them plenty of fresh water... they dehydrate easily in hot weather. I think that's your best guess.

Also, from your other post it sounds like this chicken is alone? I'd get her a friend. They can die without company.

7. JFG

JFG Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    She is inside and still gasping when I touch her neck and holding her mouth open. I can't feel any obvious wounds. Her mouth is its usual color and I don't see any stings. She can breath, but not well. It is hot and humid, but not more so than she is used to. In fact, if anything, today it is cooler and not as sunny as usual.

She is holding her mouth open all the time and breathing erratically. She won't extend her neck- she is hunched over all the time. She is inside and I'm pretty sure it isn't heat.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like heat to me, either. When my chickens pant, their breath is rapid, just like when a dog pants.

Is it possible for you to consult a chicken vet?

9. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Maybe a bee? You say she jumped as if she was bitten by somthing. Chickens will catch and eat bees, maybe she got stung?

10. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I had a silkie chicks that held its mouth open the whole time and it looked like she was throwing up foam. I think she just ate to much egg. I hope yours is okay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by