Help! Silkie with curled toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gerbil, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I have tried everything and I can't get his toes set right! His feet are way to small and way to fuzzy and he does not like having his feet poked at. I am two seconds away from giving up, we finally got his feet set with band aids and cardboard, when I come back and see his feet curled up in his shoes!

Help PLEASE!

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    is he eating and drinking?

3. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Yes he is, but he is have trouble walking. He is 1 day old and is hobbling around on a towel in a box with his friends. [​IMG]

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I have heard of chickens with curled toes living a very long happy life. If he is eating and drinking He should be fine wether you fix the toes or not. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    We have an adult mutt like that already and she is fairly happy but, I was hoping to show this little chick if he or she qualified. Either way he will have a happy home here.

6. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Band aids on the top and bottom is wht i have heard to use???
    Good luck and I hope it gets better.

7. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I will try that, do you know of anyway to stop the fuzz from sticking to the band aid?

8. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    You can fix them! Hang in there..
    try individually taping each toe. Use small strips of medical tape. Day old silkie toes are so small that tape alone can straighten them, without cardboard shoes. Alternatively, wait a couple of days untill you are less frustrated. But don't give up and sentence the chick to a lifetime of deformed feet if you can help it. Good luck!
    Oh, and you may have to trim the fuzz for this!

9. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks for the ideas! I just tried a mix of both, I cut the band aid into strips and wrapped each toe. Now I will just wait and see, I am going to put him with our baby Seramas because the other Silkies are being mean.

10. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    I have a darling two year old, that I hatched in my classroom, with curled toes. Two of the batch had them and I kept both. The feed store where we got the eggs told me to cull both of them at the time. I am so glad I didn't listen. We lost Shadow last fall to a raccoon, but Chance is still a friendly and happy egg layer, even with here excessively curled toes. Does anyone know what causes that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by