Help! Silver Laced Polish hen sick!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcgee0919, May 2, 2011.

1. mcgee0919

mcgee0919 New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    We bought a pair of silver laced polish last week and 2 white crested polish hens as well. silver laced polish hen has been laying around for a couple of days and will not stand up. Her legs are not broken, her wings are not broken. I have her by herself now just to make sure that she isn't contagious. I have been giving her some water via syringe to try to get her up and going just because she hasn't been walking around. She will not stand to get the water. She has not lost weight or anything. She is just kind of lying on her side and will not stand up at all. I don't want to lose her...does anybody have any idea what the problem could be? Any advice or tips?

We actually have a walk in shower in our bathroom that we are about to tear out because we never use it. We are redoing our bathroom...anyway, we kept some baby chicks in there until my husband got the brooder fixed outside, so she is in there now. I thought I could monitor her better in the house than outside. I'm not trying to get her to eat, just drink..

I'm kinda new to the bird thing, my husband and I are just building our chicken empire lol....so im kinda clueless! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it possible she has an impacted egg? [​IMG]

I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you. I can give you a bump though, I hope somebody else can help you!

BTW, [​IMG] I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances. [​IMG]

3. mcgee0919

mcgee0919 New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    Well, she has been wormed. I dont know. I just got some feed in her. Her cone is red and she will eat some food and i have been giving her water with antibiotic in it. We are pretty new to the chicken thing and don't know what else to do. I even called our vet this morning, but he apparently doesn't see chickens. They gave me the number to another place, but it is almost 2 hours away. I don't think I want to stress her even more by taking her on that long of a trip when they may not be able to help her anyway. Thanks for trying! I hope someone else will post and try to help us out.

I did just get her to eat and was checking on her and her feet and legs are cold. One of her feet looks funny...not sure how to describe it. I can go take pictures if someone would be willing to try to help us out! I don't want to lose her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by