Help- Silver Laced Wyanodtte is not walking!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StarLover21, Mar 21, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    My silver laced wyandotte as of this morning cannot walk. Her legs can't really support her, and if she does try to walk she seems offbalance and falls over to one side. What should I do? I checked her feet and legs for breaks and checked all over her body and don't see anything wrong.

Thank you!

2. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    And adult chickens can't get mareks, right?

She is new- I got her about two weeks ago, so there may have been some problem with that flock...as I said I checked for breaks, but I don't know exactly what they feel like/what to look for. Her vent looks fine too. She hasn't layed an egg in several days, but she only started about a week and a half ago- and I don't think these are symptoms of being eggbound.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i don't have personal knowlege, but i read on this forum some time back that such behavior was related to worms. i thought that was strange, but the other person wormed the bird & things improved. you might look into that - i'm sure there's a thread that spells out symptoms of internal parasites.
    good luck.

4. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Okay, thank you. I'll look into that. Anybody have any other ideas what's going on?

5. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Anybody?? [​IMG]

6. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    [​IMG] Please? Sorry to bump so much, but I'm reallly worried about her :( :( :(

7. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    I'm not much help, but maybe some sort of vitamin deficiency? You might try some PolyViSol (NO IRON) baby vitamins. In any case, hopefully this will bump you back up, and someone more knowledgeable can jump in here! Good luck!

8. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Okay thank you! Today she is able to walk again...but not fully, she is still stumbling and a little 'splayed leg'-ish. We did have a big storm about a day before I noticed she was hurt- do you think something could have fallen on her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by