HELP! SKIN GONE OFF SULTAN HENS TOE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chcknluvr, Nov 14, 2016.

1. chcknluvr

chcknluvr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    North Carolina
    My sultan hen has a severe toe injury. Her toe is just a bone!The skin has somehow been taken clean off! Please help! I've had experience with taking care of injuries, as I nursed 2 hens back to health when they had severe deep puncture wounds. I have just sprayed her toe with rooster booster, and in an hour I'm going to clean the blood of with saline. Is there anything else I can do? I have put her in her own coop with food and water.

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

Find some non-stick guaze to wrap her to in, and keep it in place with vet wrap. You can find non-stick guaze at murdoch's and I would assume TSC. Vet wrap is everywhere; you won't have problems finding that. I spray vetrycin on my chickens wounds and it helps it heal much quicker. It isn't a chemical, but it helps a wound heal by increasing oxygen flow to the wound.
    As long as she still has a toe, I wouldn't freak out. It might take a long time to grow back theskin and scales, but if the bone is still there it will recover.
    Don't freak out! She'll be okay [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. chcknluvr

Sep 4, 2015
    North Carolina
    Thank you sooo much! I will definitely try that. Rooster booster acts similarly to veterycin, so I'll keep that, and I will go get some non-stick gauze. Thank you again! That's a big help!

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

No problem. Basically, if you can keep a chicken hydrated, they will survive. Can you post pics as she heals? Obviously this kind of thing doesn't happen very often.

5. chcknluvr

Sep 4, 2015
    North Carolina
    That's a good idea. I'll try and get one later, but I'm not kidding when I say it's pretty graphic. It looks super bad. I have absolutely no idea how it happened, but I feel so bad for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by