Help! Skinny chicks/adults keep dying

crystalchik

Songster
12 Years
Jan 15, 2008
Central Florida
**********Hello peeps!! Please read the LAST ENTRY!!!!********

I have been having a problem with my d'Uccles, as some of you may know. Now, I have 2 adult hens and about 8-10 chicks (about 4 months old or older or so) and they are extremely skinny. Some are on their last legs. Especially the hens. I thought maybe they were not getting enough food, but the hens ALWAYS has a ton of left over food, as do the chicks most of the time. The hens are in a seperate cages, and the chicks are divided into 2 cages, so other birds are not a problem. About 2 months ago, I wormed them with Sulmet for coccidia and Ivermectin sheep drench for worms. Since then, 2 birds had died. I figured maybe the wormer was no good, so about month later after my birds (all of them showed some sign of weight loss) showed no improvement, I wormed them all with a straight dose of Ivermectin on bread, (we did it correctly, our friend who has raised birds 3X as long us lives by this method) and still, now, about 2-3 weeks later, I just had another 4 die. They do not have mites, not courtesy to the Ivermectin. I have no idea what is going on... at first I kept thinking that it was my fault in some way, and doubled feeding portions and added some cooked rice to thier diet, but with left overs, they are not getting better and still dying. Anybody have an idea? Im desperate, and I dont want to lose any more of my babies!!!
sad.png
(My peacocks are also very skinny as well, they are no where near the chickens, and I have already had one die.)
Crystalchik

Last edited:
I am a real newbie here, but do you have a University Extension service near you? Or any other agency that handles questions on livestock in your area?

I have found our university to be very helpful with all sorts of questions regarding plants and animals. But then we have a big university run experimental farm here.

rebbetzin
I am a real newbie here, but do you have a University Extension service near you?

Gosh, I have no idea, I will check it out thank you for the suggestion!

nnbreeder
Please list what you are feeding

I am feeding layer pellets mixed with All stock feed pellets.​

How is your feed being stored? Is there any possibility of contamination or spoilage?
What is their water source?
What else do you use in the coop and run?
Do they free range at all?
Do you use any kind of fertilizer or chemicals on your property?

The feed is stored in a bin in my barn away from the weather, I dont think the feed is bad, it looks fresh to me, its not moldy or musty and no bugs in it.
They each have their own water cups I change out everyday.
No, I dont allow these little guys to free range right now, especially when they are not feeling well, I try to keep them away from everyone if they are sick. But their cages are large.
I dont use anything in the coop, if i clean everything comes out of the coop, and nothing is used on our yard.

What gets me is that some seem fine, but most of my birds have shown some sign of weight loss...could it be Coccidia??

Your all stock is a 10% protein that is also high in molasses which can act as a laxitive. Cut out the all stock and swap to a higher protein feed and they should be fine. I will feed my birds a min. of 18-20% protein.

I would scrub and sanitize everything, including all food and water vessels. Something is definately going on here.

The question about possible contaminates is valid. Any fertilizers, DE or chemistry of any sort out there?

I would also have the birds examined for any type of leukemias. The leukemias are transmitted via wild birds, and can even transmit to cats.

When you examine your birds, are there any breathing difficulties or other symptoms?

It would be a really good idea to notify the County or State Extension office about this so they can see what's happening, and tell you how to remedy this. No, you won't be in any trouble.

Your all stock is a 10% protein that is also high in molasses which can act as a laxitive. Cut out the all stock and swap to a higher protein feed and they should be fine. I will feed my birds a min. of 18-20% protein.

Oh my gosh!! I had NO idea, everyone said it would be fine b/c we were trying to cut down on feed costs. Sheez, I will take them off imediately! Thankyou!!

I would also have the birds examined for any type of leukemias. The leukemias are transmitted via wild birds, and can even transmit to cats.

How would I examine for leukemias?? We have a lot of birds and cats around here.

When you examine your birds, are there any breathing difficulties or other symptoms?

I have one hen that seems kind of "gurgly", but I think she is coming down with pox...Now that I think of it, she was one of the first to show symptoms, including weight loss, glassy & runny eyes, "gurgly" sound when breathing, a pox-looking thing in the roof of her beak, and her face stunk and she looked like she had this yellow substance caked in her nostrils.

It would be a really good idea to notify the County or State Extension office about this so they can see what's happening, and tell you how to remedy this. No, you won't be in any trouble.

If your flock is infected something nasty, dont they kill your birds though? I am scared to go to them.​

Back
Top Bottom