Help! Skinny hen.

LillyLover

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
Australia
Help !! I have a skinny hen that is aproxamitaly 6 years old, she was a good weight before she got the flu about 2 months ago, now she is really skinny. She gets layer crumble 24 hours a day and whatever food I am eating at the time. I do not believe in feeding my chickens scrapes. But now she really skinny and not putting on any weight, What can I do to put some weight on my girl. Please if any body has any suggestions what so ever please do not hesitate to tell me. I need all the help I can get
frow.gif

I'd up her fat and protein. Either switch her to game bird feed, or add protein powder. You say that you don't feed scraps (but you do feed what you're eating? I am confused), but you might want to feed her some plain, full-fat yogurt or even some scrambled eggs for a while. I've also fed cat food as a protein-rich treat.

Last edited:
Well as to the question of not feeding her scrapes but feeding her whatever I am eating at the time. The answer is that if I am eating something like porrage I will always leave her about a table spoon of the food in the bottom of the bowl. We have been feeding her scrabbled eggs for a week now and no signs of her putting on any weight. Can I try nuts or seeds ?

Have you dewormed her? I'm wondering 'cause she's obviously eating well and she should be a healthy weight judging by what you're feeding her. Fat even!

Well as to the question of not feeding her scrapes but feeding her whatever I am eating at the time. The answer is that if I am eating something like porrage I will always leave her about a table spoon of the food in the bottom of the bowl. We have been feeding her scrabbled eggs for a week now and no signs of her putting on any weight. Can I try nuts or seeds ?

You can try anything you'd like, seeds and nuts won't hurt her a bit, but you won't be feeding a balanced ration. I think the suggestion about worms is a good one.

Back
Top Bottom