HELP! Skunk ate skin and muscle off head of injured chicken

SonjaG

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Last night I went out to close the door on the coop and noticed that a skunk was milling around the chicken yard. We have a chicken with an injured leg that is not always able to get into the coop, so I picked it up to put in the coop. When I did this I noticed that it was missing some of the feathers on it's head. This morning in the day light I am noticing that it is a lot worse than I thought. The skin and muscle is gone from the back of the chickens head and I can see the white of it's skull. This hen is about 7 months old, I don't think it has laid an egg yet, is a cross between rode island red and barred rock. She was born with a deformed leg (I now think it was splay leg) but by the time I got the chick is was too late to do anything (Chick was hatched at a preschool). She is smaller than the rest of the chickens but is able to move around in the run. I have taken her inside, she is drinking electrolytic and eating food. I tried to put some neosporin on her head and this looked like it was painful for her and difficult for me to "touch" her skull. Has anyone had a chicken who has recovered from this type of injury? I would hate for her to have a long painful recovery that results in death. Trying to decide what the best thing to do is. HELP!

SonjaG Mom of 2 boys and 4 chickens who just laid their first 2 eggs 2 days ago!

Not sure how to post a picture as a new user?

Oh my. I only hope I don't have to deal with something like this. What would I do....hmmmmm. I would take it to the vet to have her put down. That sounds far too painful and serious. I have not gotten to the point of culling my own (yet)
hugs.gif

I agree, it's probably best at this point to have her put down
sad.png
I don't think she will be able to regenerate muscle and tissue leaving her skull exposed will leave her very vulnerable to head trauma.

Back
Top Bottom