Help! sluggish chick not eating or drinking!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Soot the silkie, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Yesterday, i checked on my chicks and the now sick chick was hopping about and perky as ever. then i came back thirty minutes later and she was hunched over and not eating or responding when the other chicks jostled her. they were in the coop at this time, getting used to their new home. I don't know if she ate something bad or has sour crop (i don't have any idea about the symptoms of sour crop) but she acts like how you feel when you have the flu, nausea and tiredness. She doesn't really eat much at all and isn't drinking. Any ideas to what the problem is?

2. Cabin Katie

Cabin Katie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2014
    I've been having the same problem today! it happens to be the tiniest of the ones I have purchased, i think it might have gotten exhausted. I have made some vitamin water by crushing a quarter of a flinstones vitamin and mixing it with water in a pill bottle cap. I gave its beak a few dunks and its eyes are now open and its more energetic. Its still tired so i let it snuggle up in my hoody and ive grinded up some chick feed in a coffee grinder added it to some water in another cap and made some "porridge" lol. its too tired to eat some yet so I don't know if it will work. definately keep it separated though. I'm typing this with one hand the other is keeping it snuggled and warm lol.

Anyone else with some advice? [​IMG] I've got to work in a few hours and have to trust my boyfriend to take care of it [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  3. Cabin Katie

Nov 16, 2014
    Well, since no ones replying I'm going to give you an update on mine. Woke it up and gave it some of the "porridge" (I made it pretty watery so it could get some) and now it's starting to act like more like a regular chick! Try not to give it too much. It's still a loy more interested in sleeping. To keep it warm I wrapped it in a cloth under my shirt for my body heat.

Is yours making a commotion? Does it open it's eyes when you set it down on it's own?

4. Cabin Katie

Nov 16, 2014
    I'm also waiting for mine to poop before I give it anything else. It pooped immediately earlier after I gave it it's first serving of vitamin water. Hasn't pooped since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by