HELP, Small tumor/lump on rooster's wing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by samuelcl, Dec 3, 2013.

1. samuelcl

samuelcl New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    So yesterday, I was checking our flock and noticed my rooster wasn't as active as he used to be. I decided to check him for problems and so mites, so we gave him a bath and that's when we saw something else that may or may not be causing the problem (Most probably it is the one causing the problem), But I don't know what it is, we're planning on sending him to the vet within this week, But I need to know what this is as it might need urgent attention.
    [​IMG]
    (The yellowish lump right above the left wing)

Here's a somewhat better view,
    [​IMG]
    (It look's like a bubble gum and it looks soft and has a somewhat pinkish color inside)

Right now, he's staying in our laundry room (Cleanest room in our house, with
    a good drainage system in case he makes a lot of droppings) separated from the others, and his droppings are somewhat wattery, also his comb is getting dark (not bluish
    just plain dark). By the way his name is Kaber(The name was taken from his breed) and he
    is just about 1 year old.

What do you guys think is on his wing? Please let me know I'm worried. :(

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I could be wrong but it looks like his elbow to me, only missing its feathers.

If you gently stretch out his wing, where does that lump sit? If it's right on his joint I suspect it's just the joint itself. It doesn't look like a tumor. You should try to compare it to his other wing, gently stretch that one out too, move the feathers aside to have a look at it, and let us know what you find after this.

Best wishes.

3. samuelcl

samuelcl New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    I checked it as you said, but it's just on this side, it's soft-ish. Here's a closer picture I took.

[​IMG]
    (This is the best picture I could manage, My phone won't focus properly on it.)

[​IMG]
    (Here's another one.)

4. samuelcl

samuelcl New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    I'm sorry I'm fairly new to this. That was his elbow alright I just found out my father treated a portion of our yard with ant poison, he may have ingested some, he won't eat and he just keeps drinking water.

5. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Ah, well, at least that's sorted. Don't worry, I thought the same first time I saw a chicken with a bare elbow. ;)

About the non-eating: is he still pooping? How are the poops? Sorry for the late reply, have been busy.

I might add a dose of honey and vitamin C to his water or offer it in a separate container, probably with some electrolytes as well. A liquid diet can sustain them for a long time if they refuse to eat. Often the refusal to eat is wisest for them as it allows their body to focus all resources on healing rather than digesting. The format you offer the electrolytes in is up to you. Honey has electrolytes in it, as do many things.

Hope he gets better. Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by