1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help - smelly nose discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pfd, Dec 19, 2010.

1. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    Newbie at work again. I bought 3 hens from the same person at auction last night. they are in quarantine. This morning I found one with a smelly yellow nasal discharge. She is active, eating and drinking. The other two seem fine besides one being more dominant. How can I help the sick one? What meds can I give?

2. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    Never mind. I found more info on the forum about it.

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Take them back to seller and do a good cleaning, you don't want that in your flock.

4. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    I would but auctions are as is sales.

5. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Then I would cull them for the good of your flock, sorry.

It is just not worth infecting the rest of your flock and having to deal with chronic illnesses or risk passing them to other peoples flocks.

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    That sounds like Coryza & its very contagious, there eyes will swell shut along with the discharge from the nose & smell very bad, I would cull, but if you want to treat them, use Tylan 50 inject able, 1\\2 cc orally for about 5-7 days, & it will clear up but it will come back when they get under stress, they will always be carriers of this from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by