Help! snake in the drain

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cheri222, Jan 30, 2011.

1. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    Ha sorry, not a real snake. But dh just broke off 50ft of snake in our drain. Any idea of how to get it out? I had a bad feeling about him playing plumber today. I just know this is bad. Im having visions of bulldozers in our front yard. [​IMG]

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Well, there should be a way... like how far down did it break off? Can you actually see it or is it so far in that you don't know how far it is?

3. cheri222

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    He can touch it but not grab it or see it.

4. Scoop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Does he have an oil filter wrench with a rubber grip? He might be able to somehow get the grip around the snake and twist it on there so it doesn't slip.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm betting that he is not a happy guy right about now. Roto-rooter or some similar group must have a way of retrieving broken snakes. This must have happened to other people. Good luck at resolving this.

6. cheri222

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    I hate old houses and old plumbing, now he saws it slipped down farther and can't reach it. So now the real fun begins. Thanks

7. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Geez I thought you ment a real snake!! Sounds like a real one would be less than a problem than this!!
    Good luck getting it fixed!!

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If you cannot see or reach it through the drain you may have to go to the nearest cleanout and get it from there, that is what they were put there for. It is an access area for plumbing emergencies, trouble is in some homes it may be hard to find it. Tell us more about where he was working and what drain, more info and I can help, Contractor here.

AL

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:You're probably going to have to breech the piping downstream to access and remove the snake. Hope it's not embedded in concrete.

10. Scoop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Depending where it is he may be able to reach if from somewhere else inside the house...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by