Help! Sneaky dog

Matejka

Free Ranging
My 100+ lb dog loves to eat eggs. Eggs are too expensive for a dog snack/treat.
My coop is solid, and dog cannot get in.
Yesterday, I cleaned coop out, removed litter/mulch, cleaned nest boxes etc.....I had 6 eggs in nest so I put them in a cleaned box, to take in house when I was finished, and continued cleaning. Took wagonload of coop mulch to run, came back (less than 5 min) and 5 eggs were gone. Dog happy chomping away on outside of coop. He has eaten eggs before that were laid while hen free ranged.
I know the basics-keep coop secure, secure dog, etc....but
How can I stop him from stealing/eating eggs?

My 100+ lb dog loves to eat eggs. Eggs are too expensive for a dog snack/treat.
My coop is solid, and dog cannot get in.
Yesterday, I cleaned coop out, removed litter/mulch, cleaned nest boxes etc.....I had 6 eggs in nest so I put them in a cleaned box, to take in house when I was finished, and continued cleaning. Took wagonload of coop mulch to run, came back (less than 5 min) and 5 eggs were gone. Dog happy chomping away on outside of coop. He has eaten eggs before that were laid while hen free ranged.
I know the basics-keep coop secure, secure dog, etc....but
How can I stop him from stealing/eating eggs?
Brat!!
Bait him with blown out eggs filled with mustard with lots of cayenne pepper mixed in. Do it multiple times and he will teach himself that they no longer are worth it.

Well, I may have solved my problem. I filled 3 eggs with mustard/cayenne pepper and hot sauce, placed then outside coop door. Within 10 minutes dog is snuffling, looking shocked, 1 egg gone. The other 2 have not been touched. I also, ran a hot wire across an unused nestbox, (birds were locked out of coop) placed 2 eggs in nest, less than an hour later, I heard a ruckus, a yelp, and dog comes charging out of coop. He has not gone near coop since.
Time will tell. I may test/bait him a few times to see/remind him, eggs are bad 😏

Well, I may have solved my problem. I filled 3 eggs with mustard/cayenne pepper and hot sauce, placed then outside coop door. Within 10 minutes dog is snuffling, looking shocked, 1 egg gone. The other 2 have not been touched. I also, ran a hot wire across an unused nestbox, (birds were locked out of coop) placed 2 eggs in nest, less than an hour later, I heard a ruckus, a yelp, and dog comes charging out of coop. He has not gone near coop since.
Time will tell. I may test/bait him a few times to see/remind him, eggs are bad 😏
Lol, good job. Sounds like you have a smart dog and is quick to learn. I've got one that's, well, not so smart. I really think her brain hasn't developed or matured and mentally she's incapable of learning past a certain level. I guarantee she'd attempt eat those eggs, and the next day completely forget and try again, and again... Lol

Lol, good job. Sounds like you have a smart dog and is quick to learn. I've got one that's, well, not so smart. I really think her brain hasn't developed or matured and mentally she's incapable of learning past a certain level. I guarantee she'd attempt eat those eggs, and the next day completely forget and try again, and again... Lol
How old is she? Tater is almost and he is smart. Skittish, he is a rescue, and I believe was abused. He will not eat out of a metal bowl, and if I pick up anything with a handle, rake shovel (stick)-he disappears.

Stella is a rescue also. I don't think she was abused physically, but she was neglected. Family was going through a divorce, and she spent her first yr of life in a room downstairs because neither of them had time for her. When we took her in at a yr old, she wasn't house broken, or new any simple commands. She was afraid of everything and everyone. She's 4 now, and has come a long way. She will go up to people and let them touch her if they are sitting down. But any strange noise or fas movement has her in a tizzy.

Back
Top Bottom