1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, Sneezing and congested chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kenzier093, Aug 28, 2014.

1. kenzier093

kenzier093 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just outside today and I heard one of my RSL hen sneezing and when she breathes she sounds congested. There is a lot of dust in the pen and they have some mites I am treating, but not many. I didn't introduce any new chickens to my flock. The only thing I can think of is that about 9 days ago I went to an auction, but didn't get anything. Could I of possibly came home with a disease or something on my clothes? I have about 28 chickens and only one is doing this. Any advice? Does a feed store carry something I can treat her with if there is a disease? I can't afford to go to a vet or anything expensive so I would have to get something at a feed store.

2. sumatrass

sumatrass Chillin' With My Peeps

check out this site it has signs and symptoms for different diseases it might be a respiratory one, Im currently treating a chicken for that with tylon50 that i got at a feed store its an antibiotic u administer through a shot. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. kenzier093

How much did you pay for it?

4. kenzier093

I just looked it up and it says it's for cattle. Is it safe on chickens too?

5. sumatrass

sumatrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Tylan 50 injectible is a stronger antibiotic, and you can give 1 ml for 5 lb and over, 1/2 ml for under 5 lb, and 1/4 ml for bantams daily for 3-5 days. I got it for 17.99

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. kenzier093

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is best to inject it 1/4 inch into the breast muscle with a 22 gauge needle, once a day for 3 days, and not more than 5. Pull back on the syringe to make sure you are not in a blood vessel.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  9. kenzier093

Ok, and one last question, are the eggs safe to eat when given the shot? If not, how long until I can?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by