HELP!snotty nose!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flying_babyb, Jun 8, 2011.

1. flying_babyb

flying_babyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    I have a 3 week old welsummer. Shes the runt of the litter (and my favorite). Today when holding her I noticed that when she breathes it sounds just like kid with a snotty nose (im a infant teacher). Should I worry? What should I do? Shes in a brooder with her 3 sibblings.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Sounds like she might need some Terramyacin water soluble antibiotics.
    I have no idea on the dosing for a little one, though.

3. flying_babyb

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    there already getting that in there water. I went back to TSC to buy some more save a chick when I first got them but they didnt have any and the man there told us that that antibotic was what they put in the water when they were little.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Do you see any discharge coming from the nostrils?

5. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:The guy at TSC is full of it. If they were putting antibiotics in the water when they had them, they were already sick and they have a problem-big time.
    They may have put electrolytes in the water, but I seriously doubt if it was antibiotics.

6. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    they guy at TSC here said the same thing that they automatically put it in their water. when they're at the store....

you can uses vicks vapor rub on her little comb and it helps them breath a whole lot easier.. you'll see a diference in a min or so... but whats causing the snuffy's Idk...

good luck )O(
    Pink

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My feed store dips all the chicks beaks in water with tetracycline in it. I've seen them do it, and they told me they do it with all the chicks that come in.

BUT, if something serious is going on, that chick may need more than just a one time dip.

8. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    If the feed stores are dipping chicks beaks in water with Tetracycline in it, that is absolutely pointless. Makes zero sense to me and I don't really know what they think they are accomplishing-that treats NOTHING.

9. flying_babyb

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    No discharge. She seems better since I tried the viks thing. She seems to be feeling good since she was running around like all the other chicks today. I let them loose in the bathroom (tile floor!) to run!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That TSC practice is one reason I refuse to give them any business. It's asinine. Healthy chicks do not need antibiotics.

If you are actually seeing snot, the chick is sick and should be euthanized (nobody PM me, please [​IMG] ). I have seen chicks kept in wet conditions with sudden temp changes that do contract pneumonia and that is treatable since it isn't contagious, per se, but unless you know the circumstances of how it happened, you really can't say if it's an infection that developed in that one bird or if it's something contagious.

If she's better, no snot, she might have been on the way to pneumonia and you caught it in time. Hope she does okay from here on out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by