HELP!! So many questions and I have no idea where to start...lol

Poultry mum

Crowing
Jan 22, 2021
Australia
Hey guys...
ok so I want to get into showing... 1st of all I’ll state that I’m in Australia
so here are my questions

1. How the blazers do I use show cages... I want to try and get my chickens and ducks used to being in them but I have no idea how to use the correctly.... I’m not sure if they are topless or bottom less but one of the sides is a solid light metal

2. what is the best and safest soap/shampoo to use to wash chickens and ducks in prior to a show... I’ve read so many things and they all say something different one thing said baby shampoo another said sunlight soap I’ve seen dish soap and wool wash and even horse/cattle shampoo.... I’m so confused....lol

last question ( for now)

3. what is the best thing to transport them to the show in I currently have 3 different sized cat/dog pet carriers they are enclosed but well ventilated as my drake (Muscovy) weighs in at over 20kg this seemed to be the sturdiest thing I could find to actually hold and carry him in....

thanks all for your help....

Won't comment on the above, will comment on a couple of things that help. Handle them regularly and make sure they are used to being handled before considering showing them. Pay attention to hygiene and keep the birds in clean pens and be sure to control parasites including worms, mites, lice, etc.

Have to say that this forum has many more backyard enthusiasts than people interested in showing.

Won't comment on the above, will comment on a couple of things that help. Handle them regularly and make sure they are used to being handled before considering showing them. Pay attention to hygiene and keep the birds in clean pens and be sure to control parasites including worms, mites, lice, etc.

Have to say that this forum has many more backyard enthusiasts than people interested in showing.
Yes I’m slowly starting to see that.... thanks

1. How the blazers do I use show cages... I want to try and get my chickens and ducks used to being in them but I have no idea how to use the correctly.... I’m not sure if they are topless or bottom less but one of the sides is a solid light metal

Put the birds in for a bit
. If l the birds begin showing, reward them with treats. This makes it so they are comfortable and will show in show cages.

2. what is the best and safest soap/shampoo to use to wash chickens and ducks in prior to a show... I’ve read so many things and they all say something different one thing said baby shampoo another said sunlight soap I’ve seen dish soap and wool wash and even horse/cattle shampoo.... I’m so confused....lol

Baby shampoo works. So does Dawn dish soap. I use Adams Flea and Tick because then if the birds have parasites it takes care of that. If you have white or light birds, use whitening shampoo

last question ( for now)

3. what is the best thing to transport them to the show in I currently have 3 different sized cat/dog pet carriers they are enclosed but well ventilated as my drake (Muscovy) weighs in at over 20kg this seemed to be the sturdiest thing I could find to actually hold and carry him in....
I use dog and cat carriers. The best thing is wooden show carriers that are individually segmented. I have a couple of those but they are hard to get your hands on and expensive. Another option is a plastic tote with a lid that has a large rectangle cut out that is covered in plastic mesh.

Morning!

If the cage your describing is the same one i'm thinking off then it is "bottomless" and designed to sit on a tray or bench. The metal "side" is a divider to limit sight and contact with the cages next to it. Kind of like this..

Show Cages.jpg

For washing you want to use the mildest and least chemical product that will do the job you require. Medicated treatments can be beneficial of course but I would personally only advocate using them if really needed. Remember - your bird will want to preen - so do not use anything that cannot be thoroughly washed off and/or is safe for your bird to ingest.

For transport you want to choose the cage that will offer your bird suitable comfort for the length of the trip - room to move and airflow is a necessity but I usually cover my cages to avoid unnecessary visual stimulus that might stress the bird. Whatever you use needs to be able to contain appropriate bedding (without making a proper mess in your car), and be easily moved by you from A to B. Cat carry cages are convenient but if you have multiple birds to transport then the stackable totes might be the way to go?

Back
Top Bottom