Help solve an argument...what size coop

Dancing

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Prescott, KS
My DH seems to think I spoil all our animals by providing way more than they need. Ok, I might be guilty of that but....
We have one coop now and I want to build another. This new one will be a divided coop with divided run so that we can run both hens and hens with a roo. (some of my customers do NOT want any chance of fertilized eggs so separate "flocks").

We are looking at 12 hens on one side and 12 hens plus a roo on the other. (with a third set of 12 hens in the old coop).

The problem we are running into is I say "go big or go home" and he says I'm spoiling them. I insist I'm only spoiling myself. We have 80 acres so it isn't like we don't have the room. And it will be 98% built with salvaged/reclaimed/free materials. The old coop cost us $7 for hinges and is 8'x8' with an added on 8'x12' "feed shed".

I want each side of the new coop to be 5'-8'x16'. He says 4'x8' is plenty big enough. Which is better or is there a middle ground that will work?

Also, how many nest boxes per side (based on 12 hens each side)? I think one nest per every two hens. But is that over kill? I know our last 12 all shared 2 nests even though there were 8 nests in the coop.

This is the design I want.
chickencoopplanstoplookingdown.jpg

He's ok with the width but we are debating the length. The middle section is for feed and storage. No chickens in the middle area.

Last edited:
It should be pretty easy to quote the recommended stocking levels to your hubby. 4' square per bird in the coop is supposed to reduce feather pecking and bullying. His space is too small yours is generous but allows room for expansion. If you are keeping a rooster and that many chickens too it would be convenient to raise your own replacements. In which case you'll need space for a broody with chickens a spce you can wall of to raise pullets before you integrate them into the flock.

Agree with above assessment. Also, "they say" one box per 4 hens plus one, so that would be 4 for 12 hens. I'm like you, they'll all use the same one or two anyway.

Thanks for the input. I like my size too! The old coop has a "room addition" on it that we can use for the chicks when we "rotate" them. But I like the idea of being able to separate the one side even further to allow for the pullets until they can all be together.

MY COOP IS ACTUALLY 4'X8'X7'TALL AND i TEMPORARILY AM HOUSING 14 BIRD, 5 LF AND 9 SILKIES AND NOT ALL ARE GROWN. IT WORKED FINE THIS SUMMER WHEN THEY FREE RANGED MY 1/2 ACRE YARD MOST OF THE DAY. I HAVE BEEN KEEPING THEM CONFINED TO COOP AND 10X12 RUN FOR THE LAST FEW WEEKS BECAUSE OF THE CONSTANT RAIN WE HAVE HAD. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THEIR TEMPERMENT AND THEIR NOT HAPPY WITH THE SPACE AT ALL. WITH THEM SPENDING A LOT OF TIME IN COOP IT SEEMS SO SMALL AND THEY ARE SQUABLING A LOT MORE WITH EACH OTHER. iF YOU ARE NOT PLANNING TO FREE RANGE DURING THE DAY i WOULD SAY YOU REALLY WANT TO GO WITH YOUR BIGGER SIZE BECAUSE I KNOW I REALLY WISH I HAD MORE ROOM FOR MINE! (SECOND SMALL COOP IN THE WORKS FOR ME RIGHT NOW AND 4-5 OF MY YOUNG SILKIES ARE FOR SALE). STILL IN THE END I WILL BE HOUSING 5-6 LF AND I THINK THATS ABOUT THE MOST I WOULD PUT IN THERE BY THE TIME YOU LOOSE SPACE FOR NEST BOXES AND FOOD AND WATER...... IN MY OPPINION ANYWAY
smile.png

I like the idea of the larger size. Can't go wrong with going bigger. Less stress with more room for your chickens to enjoy. Ours is a 4'x8' and we only have 6 pullets. If I need to leave them cooped up they don't have any problems with pecking or pulling feathers. They also have a 4x8 enclosed run which is small for now but we will make it larger this spring. We do let them free range when we are out there with them. We have a small 1/4 acre plot and it all seems to work well. Our girls are still giving us an egg a day per bird, so I guess they're happy.

Back
Top Bottom