Help! Someone dumped baby chicks in my yard!!

Peepshow

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
My husband came home today and yells into the house

THERE ARE BABY CHICKS IN THE YARD!!

What?

I had just been out there about 20 minutes before collecting eggs and giving our hens some scraps and there were no babies.

Now, we only have hens, not a single roo among our 16, the yard is fully fenced and our girls only just started laying. No one has been absent from the coop so they could not have been setting on a nest and no sign of a nest in our yard. that leaves only one option: someone dumped the chicks in our yard!

I wish they'd have just rung the bell because one of the chicks squeezed through our back fence into the yard behind us where there are some rather vicious dogs and we could not get the chick back. I'll look for it in the morning but for now, we have 4 chicks. They are smaller then our hens were when we got them at 3 days old.

We've set them up with starter feed, water a light and put them in a plastic storage container for now. The brooder we did have set up is way to huge for them at this point (it was last occupied by 17 chicks!)

Does anyone have any guesses about age and possibly type of chickens?

3272357629_a01e1bcd77_m.jpg

3273196144_bdde4627eb_m.jpg

3273175518_29edca12c5_m.jpg

3273195438_ebaa60fe45_m.jpg

you can see larger pictures on my flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fidgetblogs/

thanks for the help

wow they are really cute I wonder how they got there, do you have any neighbors with chickens too? maybe a school kid who hatched them as an experiment???

They also look like EEs to me, too. And, if I'm correct, only a few days, maybe a week old.

Wow! That's very wierd! Hopefully someone didn't vent sex them and they aren't all roos. Now, why else would anybody do such a thing?

I do wish someone dropped off a few surprises in our yard, though.
tongue2.gif
Good luck with them!

Quote:
there are people down the road with chickens and some across the main road too. They both have roosters but why not just leave the chicks with the mama? Plus my little town is famous for it's "wild" chickens that live downtown. i just dont know who the heck would dump them in my yard? The whole thing is very odd

Last edited:
They are way to cute. It is no wonder that having chickens is addicting. Just look at that adorable face. How can you resist.

Back
Top Bottom