Help! Someone is trying to give us one of their baby chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunnyseagrl, Oct 10, 2012.

1. sunnyseagrl

sunnyseagrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    Hey all,

We have five 2 week old chicks already and have a friend who is wanting to give us one of their chicks from a broody hen who is also 2 weeks old. My question is....will that be okay????? Will the chick from the hen be okay being in a brooder without a hen? Will the other chicks peck at it?? I just don't want to take the chick and place her in an environment where she'll suffer. Please let me know if anyone has had experience with this or what your thoughts are!

2. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Yes it'll be fine. Introduce it at night while their sleeping.

3. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I agree with sparrker. let us know what happens though

4. sunnyseagrl

Oct 1, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    Thanks for your advice! Do you think the new little chick will cry for it's momma hen? If so, what do I do?

5. Greyfox Farm

Greyfox Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feed her! Treats go a loooong way to making a little bird happy. She'll adapt just fine.

6. sunnyseagrl

Oct 1, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    What can I give 2 wk olds as treats? Do I also have to give them grit if I do treats? Sorry, I'm so new at this...

7. sunnyseagrl

Oct 1, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    Well, we got the baby chick and just stuck her in the brooder with everyone else! She seems to be doing just fine. There was a little pecking on her part but not much at all. She's eating and drinking so that's good! We have no clue about what breed of chick she is so we'll see about that, though she is very pretty. Her droppings are different than the other five, but I think that's because she was outside eating off the ground. Crossing our fingers that all continues to go well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by