1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Someone pooping blood!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CatsCrazyCoop, Aug 21, 2011.

1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Hi! I need help. One of my hens is pooping blood!

I don't know who it is..
    it is definitely blood - they hadn't eaten any berries or anything, and I touched it to make sure...

I have 7 hens in the coop...
    Dominique
    White Rock
    Barred Rock
    Black Sumatra
    Black Jersey Giant
    Rhode Island Red
    Buff Orpington

They are approximately 11 weeks old

I am sick to my stomach. The only things I can think of, which may mean nothing... 4 days ago I changed the feed from TSC's Dumor to Blue Seal... Ummm, they poo'd in their waterer, but I cleaned it as soon as I saw it... I did notice mold grow on one of the roosts, but I cant imagine it having been there very long, and I cleaned it off...

I will be devestated if one of my girls is very sick - and I have no idea how to find out WHO even has the problem!

Any ideas?
    They all seem to be acting fine... so no hints there.

Thanks!

2. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:hiya o totally freak the other day to as one of my lot had done a poo and there was a little blood in it,posted on here and was told it was ,normal,somthing about there inttestines ,heres a guide to what right and whats not with chicken poop.xhttp://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    It says blood in feces is Coccidiosis!!!!

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Are any of them acting sick? Puffed up? Not moving around alot? Not eating very well? Could be cocci if acting like this. If so treat with Corid. I had young ones this spring with Cocci. Treated them and they are fine. If the poo was more of a rose color not a deep red and they are all acting fine then I would say intestinal shed which is normal.

5. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Quote:Its a deep red...
    Where do I get Corid?

Was just reading up on Cocci... OMG, I could lose all of them!

They all seem to be acting normal... I am going to try and put the kids up for a nap today and try to spend some time with my girls and see what is going on.

Thanks!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You get liquid or powdered Corid (there's also a product called Cocci-Rid, which is the same ingredient, amprolium) at the feed store. Get them some plain, no sugar, yogurt for the probiotics as well, which helps the intestines ravaged by the oocysts in the soil that cause the cocci.

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    You can get Corid at the feed store. It is marked for cattle. I did 5ml in their water for 5 days changing everyday. To clarify 5ml in a gallon warterer. You can also use Sulmet that is at the feed store too. If you treat fast for Cocci they are usually fine. Its when its let go too long that you can have losses. Treat everyone even if they are all not acting sick cause they will all have it. Chicken have a good way of hiding that they are sick. If you notice one not acting quite right keep a close watch cause that one is not feeling well. I sit with my girls every afternoon and just watch them. That way I know if one is acting weird. Right now we are fighting bumblefoot. I have 3 that the bumble is almost gone and a duck that we are working on but she is getting better.

8. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Do I need to do any sort of cleaning while I treat my girls?
    Also... is it contagious to humans? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Woman at Blue Seal dealer said I just need to throw them on medicated feed and that should clear it up???

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Wrong answer. You need to treat them with Corid ASAP!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by