Help! Something got in the run!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckmecoop7, Jun 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    Hi all,

I'm very worried right now and I can barely think! So, Kiwi, one of my BO's is hurt. Not too bad, just her wing. I think there is a little bit of dried blood but I'm not sure. Also, her wing hangs down a little more than usual. She is always very friendly and loves to be held and petted, but now she won't let me touch her and is very skittish.

A few nights ago I heard my flock getting riled up because something was near the coop. But nothing happened that night. Now, something did happen! Also, the netting over the run (that protects them from hawks, etc.) was torn down a little.

What could have done this? I'm thinking a raccoon because a big one comes almost every night to eat seeds from my bird feeder. (Now I take it in but he still comes.) Also, I don't know how Kiwi got hurt. I locked them in late last night so it could have happened then.

Please help!

2. A raccoon can easily reach through the holes in a run and get hold of a bird. What are you using for barrier? How big is the mesh?

3. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    I was talking about the netting, not the real fence. But, the fence is very secure and is buried in the ground about 6 inches. The holes are half inch.

4. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    Netting is not predator proof at all. 1/2 inch hardware cloth is very strong and the holes are small.

5. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    I know, the netting is just for birds of prey.

6. Sounds like something, probably the coon, pulled down the netting enough to reach in and got a paw on your bird. They are very good at getting through small places--I've had them get between two, 6-inch overlapping pieces of hardware cloth that was covering a window. When the window was wide open they could wedge themselves in and out through it.

7. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    But when did it happen? My birds were locked in at 9:10 PM which is late for me. I usually do it at 8:20 PM - 8:30 PM. Do you think it happened then? Or was it in the morning after I let them out? (7:00 AM, or around that time.)

8. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    She is doing a little better. I put her in a old dog crate with water and food. She was panting a little so I put a cold water jug in, too. Anything else I can do for her?

Thanks!

PollyGirl21 likes this.
  9. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    I really wish I could help but I have no experience with Racoons as I’m in Australia. Good luck with your hens. I hope Kiwi gets better soon

cluckmecoop7 and Cryss like this.
  10. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    Raccoons climb very well. They are known to hang out in trees. Netting on top won't stop them getting in.

cluckmecoop7 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: