Help! Something got to all my chicks!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Georgiagirl, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Georgiagirl

Georgiagirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2009
    Georgia
    I came home today and found all my chickens dead or missing!
    Something broke through the chicken wire I have around the run.
    I can't believe this! I made sure or I thought I was sure they were safe.
    I planted wire underground all around the run. I even had the wire doubled in places. I am devastated! Should I have used hardware cloth around the run?

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    [​IMG] I am sooo sorry!! I hope you figure out what it was. That really does stink! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Chicken wire is not made to keep predators out, as you found. You need hardware cloth, not chicken wire.

4. Georgiagirl

Georgiagirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2009
    Georgia
    I have looked around looking for some kind of tracks or something to give me a clue. Nothing. One small track that looks like maybe it is a racoon.
    But what would be big enough to tear through the wire?
    No evidence to show what I'm up against.

5. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Racoons can get through chicken wire. Like posted above, chicken wire is made to keep chickens in, not predators out.

How large of a hole [h*w] was in the wire?

6. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    [​IMG]I am so sorry! I know it is hard. Especially when you did everything you knew how to do! We use the hardware cloth and then put chicken wire over it. The chicken wire helps keep the chicks in. I hope you find out what did this![​IMG]

7. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    I have looked around looking for some kind of tracks or something to give me a clue. Nothing. One small track that looks like maybe it is a racoon.
    But what would be big enough to tear through the wire?
    No evidence to show what I'm up against.

Anything is big enough to get through chicken wire, because it is a weak wire. It doesn't have anything to do with the size of the predator, it's the effectiveness of the wire. Only hardware cloth is predator proof.

I am very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

8. Grammahen

Grammahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    I am so sorry for you Georgiagirl . How very very sad.

9. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I'm SOOO sorry you lost your flock!
    If you could post photos of the track, we might be able to help you identify the predator, so you can better equip your coop to keep them out.
    Coon tracks are easily identifiable, if that's what you suspect it is, your probably right.

10. PastorSBC

PastorSBC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    SEMO
    If you know someone that hunts try and borrow a game camara from them. The kind used to take pictures of deer. Mount it on a fence post or something and you will probably get a picture of him. good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by