HELP! Something injured my showgirl chick!!!!

keyt1969

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
When I went out to feed everyone today I noticed my showgirl chick laying in the corner of the brooder. It was dark where she was so I couldn't see much right away. Much to my horror this is what I found...

I cleaned it up as best as I could. Should I put something on it? Should I cover it with something? If so, what and how??

No idea what did this. She was in with other chicks, but now that I have her separated I hear her sneezing.

It has been a super bad week for me and I don't want to lose her so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Wow...that's bad....so sorry for you.....I don't really have any advice, so sorry, The best thing might be to put her out of her misery..
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Put neosporin on it and place her in a warm quiet environment. Maybe giver her some electrolytes. I have heard some say wrapping it would be a good idea but also it needs to be able to breathe as well. I am sorry I don't have more to offer. Hopefully more will chime in.

Chickens are wonderful healers. Clean her up well..apply some neosporin to it...keep her inside if possible to prevent fly from getting in the wound. Also the otherchckens will attack her. Keep her in a quiet place with food and water near by. Add some vitamins to her water and let her rest.Shock is the biggest concernrright now...

Im so sorry. Poor girl.

It looks like it is all the way to the bone. Keep her isolated and super super clean and get her on antibiotics right away and see how she is acting and if any healing is happening. Read anything you can about what you can feed her to help her body heal and keep out infection. I would also search for anything you can do about shock.

Last edited:
I cleaned it up some more and put some bag balm on it. She's in a tote with water/electrolytes and feed. She's moving around now so that's a big relief! Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom