Help!!! Something is killing my Guineas!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Manowar, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Manowar

Manowar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2012
    We have went from 13 adult Guineas in the early summer 2012 down to 2 yesterday, and now one as of today... Somethings getting them at night. The survivors had been roosting in the rafters of the horse barn and now that's no longer safe. My first instinct is Raccoons... DNR says coyote, but I don't believe it as Guineas roost up high. I have set a live trap but not caught anything..
    Owl? Raccoon? Mink?? or...... Thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated?
    ReplyQuote Multi

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Is there any signs of struggles or uneaten parts, or are they just gone?
    My 1st thought would be owl or raccoon. I have been told that owls often attack guineas when they roost, I think they eat the head.

3. Manowar

Dec 9, 2012
    Whatever it is, i must say it is very thorough... it leaves nothing but a pile of feathers... no head, no flesh no bones..

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My gut tells me that you are dealing with a GHO, but it could also be a number of mammalian predators that could climb into the rafters.

5. Manowar

Dec 9, 2012
    You mean a Great Horned Owl right?? Not the dreaded Guinea Homicide Organization? I'm new to backyardchickens so I had to think about it for minute [​IMG]

6. Manowar

Dec 9, 2012
    Is there any way to stop GHO other than caging the Guinea's and not hurting the owl... Something owls don't like?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Now, that's the type of humor that I appreciate. Yes, a Great Horned owl. In my experience they are bold, tenacious, persistent killers that are impossible to dissuade. I once had one enter a pigeon loft through the bobs that I had left unsecured. I released him - the nest night at dusk he was back trying to get into the loft.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Great-horned owl very hard to get to move on but they can be foiled. My great-horned owls are pretty consistent about visiting around time moon is full. Obviously penning guinea fowl can be done but denying bugger access to barn might also be done. I use dogs but that takes time to establish as a reliable method.

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Guinea Hoomicide Organization [​IMG]

That must be what took my neighbor's guineas last summer out of the woods by my house. Or maybe it was the bobcat - or coyote - or fox - stray dogs - owls - eagle - or ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by