1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help! something is wrong with my cayuga's leg :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ashleyfritts89, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ashleyfritts89

ashleyfritts89 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Help! Does anyone know what this might be? Hes never been able to walk the best even when I first got him from the store... he is a crested cayuga so I figured that was one of the reasons his walk was off... but he is a great swimmer, he absolutely loves the water. Well just this week his leg got swollen and he can not put no weight on it.. and he also got sore like things on his foot. He still eats and drinks like a champ. Any idea what this could be?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you can check on bumblefoot. i looked at those pics for a long time thinking how weird it looked until i realized it was a duck! hahaha

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    That's really odd. I don't know for sure that's Bumblefoot. Have you considered any environmental factors?

4. ashleyfritts89

Oct 18, 2013
    I thought it could possibly be bumblefoot as well... but the more I look at it im not sure if thats it either. Environmental factors im not real sure if that could be an issue. We have been letting him stay in a pond during the day once he got old enough.. but we do bring him in most nights to sleep. (Unless he is stubborn and dont want out of the water) only bc the water is his only way to get around. Hes never been able to really walk on land.. he stumbles alot. Its a big pond and we have 2 perkins with him to keep him company. One of the perkins likes to bully him a little. But i don't Think that would have anything to do with his leg. But my boyfriend mentioned that maybe a fish bit him.. bc the pond is filled with all kinds of fish (catfish, bass, crappie, carp and more) but I just dont know if thats it either. I dont know if that would cause his leg to swell like it is and those sores to come up tho...

5. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I just don't know that it looks like the bumble. Do a search and you'll find lots of pics and treatments on bumble. I think Haunted55 has had great success without cutting and iodine, clear if you can find.
    I wonder about possibly snapping turtles?
    Since you said he's always had leg issues, wonder if you've tried Niacin supplements ever?

Edited: Niacin. Niacin. Niacin. (not iodine)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  6. ashleyfritts89

Oct 18, 2013
    No ive never tried iodine supplements. When we first got him we mixed some kind of food enhancer supplement in with his food. Where could I get iodine supplements... tractor supply?

7. ashleyfritts89

Oct 18, 2013
    Never thought about snapping turtles.. im not sure if there are any in the pond.. but that could always be a possibility. We've not noticed any. Just some regular box turtles.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    No, I don't think that's bumblefoot. The joint appears swollen, so you may be dealing with internal infection.

Carefully feel up the leg and around the torso. Did he get some fishing line wrapped around the leg?

I would bring him in, get him into lukewarm clean water deep enough to float in. Maybe half an hour in the tub.

I would follow that with an Epsom salt compress (2 tablespoons E.s., half a cup of warm water, soak a clean rag in that, wrap the rag around his leg and foot for several minutes. Then dry the foot and either slather it with antibiotic ointment (without painkiller, which is toxic to ducks) or dab a little iodine on the sores and let it dry. Do the iodine once every three or four days, not every day. I would do the ointment after each soak, if that is what you choose to do.

Keep him in a cozy, clean place with fresh water and food at least overnight. Keep him in closer quarters so he can rest.

If he has internal infection, he needs oral antibiotics. It would be best for a vet to see him and guide you and I understand that is not always possible. I am not a vet, I can only share my thoughts with you.

I would give him vitamins with probiotics and electrolytes to boost his immune system. The sores look like they could be abrasions, but it is hard to say. Could he have gotten stuck for a while on something?

In any case, twice-daily baths followed with Epsom salt would most likely help. Seriously think about antibiotics so that if that doesn't make good progress in a couple of days, you know what and how much to give, if you decide to do so.

1 person likes this.
  9. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Ashley, goodness I made a huge typo. Iodine is for skin, for treating cuts, wounds, bumbles. The supplement that you'd want to try is Niacin (a B vitamin). I have found that the easiest way for me to give it to my flock is mixed into the water, Sav-a-Chick is what I usually use. I know some people do use regular Niacin tablets, not time-release. I've not done that so you would want to run a search on dosage to be sure how to do that.

Everything that Amiga told you above is true and I should have suggested the Epsom Salts, they are a staple in my 1st Aid Kits! So I would say first do all of the things Amiga suggested, when you can get the Niacin, go Ahead and see if the nutritional support helps. Let us know how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  10. ashleyfritts89

Oct 18, 2013
    Great! Thanks for the advice! I will gove it a shot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by