HELP... something is wrong with my duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tmgmtm, May 22, 2018.

1. Tmgmtm

Tmgmtm In the Brooder

May 22, 2018
    My male Rouen drake appears to have done something to himself. I dont have a local farm animal vet so no help there. May 1st I was doing a water change and had my back to the ducks. I have four total three babies 10mths old stay together one 2 yr old pekin who is separated from them. All drakes. Ok while my back was turned there was splashing in the pond which I hear often but my rouen came running passed me into the fence sticking his head though trying to get out. I picked him up his heart was racing and he was shaking. I got him calmed down but he was still shaking and walking really slow and seemed disoriented. Later that day I found him sitting quietly near the back corner of his house alone. Then on May 6th I came home later then normal so the ducks were out til 12am instead of 9pm ge was in the water with the others but couldn't get out. I got him to find he couldn't walk. Seems he is not using his wings also just for balance. So I penned him in our house away from the rest of the flock to let him recover. Next morning he was showing no interest in food. So I started him on vitamins water and brewing yest. Plus time in a warm ebsin salt bath. he seam to like those but did not even want to flutter in the water as he would usually do. He would tip to one side at first then he kept dipping his head into the water and trying to reach the bottom with his bill, he also kept drinking the water. Problem he was not able to flap his wings to dry just his tail. He is so thin he was getting cold. Throughout the day he seemed to move less and less. he does use us bill to crawl to the back corner of his pen. Ever day I take him outside with his brothers. They come over to him and hang for a bit. For food he wouldn't eat even his favorite green beans. I finally got him to eat milwarms but that's all he would eat for days.
    he was looking scruffy, feathers fluffed up, eyes half closed, she seems to tremble slightly at times, he moves his legs but has a hard time getting them forward. He does move his wings only to hold himself up but most of the time he's stepping on them and he is lop-sided when floating, lolling to the right the feet move but the right is sticking up strange for a bit til he gets it right. He looks sleepy with eyes half- to fully closed. When I pick him up it sounds like old bones cracking. He does not like being moved, I'm not sure if he hurts, when I do hold him wrapped in a towel he snuggles into my neck. He is not quacking and hasn't been seen this happen. The last few days hes tried but nothing comes out or it's very faint.
    It's now going on 3 weeks now. He's eating better & drinking but can only stand for a few sec. Make 3 steps then falls forward. He is so thin. I let him sleep with his brothers last night which was good they snuggled but when I let him in the yard he goes to the pond but can't get out. Then he is cold. I move him back indoors under his heat lamp which he does like. I'm not sure what else to do to get him better. Any help would be great.

Last edited: May 22, 2018

2. Tmgmtm

Tmgmtm In the Brooder

May 22, 2018
    Here are some pics

Attached Files:

3. Tmgmtm

Tmgmtm In the Brooder

May 22, 2018
    They are all drakes. Sorry my phone posted before I could correct a few things. Some of his symptoms where the same a another so I copied and pasted but it posted before I could correct it.

4. Possibly they are targeting him to breed. His feathers look to be in bad condition..

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  5. Tmgmtm

Tmgmtm In the Brooder

May 22, 2018
    I've never seen that he was the boss of the group. What he did they did. Yes his feathers are bad not repellent at all. When wet he

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

So you only have drakes and one is this Rouen that is sick? Have you noticed anything in their area he could have eaten? Toxin of some kind sure sounds like it maybe a toxin. Having him floating in Epsom salt water and him drinking it may have been helping to move what ever it is out since you say he is doing a little better now. Epsom salt is one of the ways to flush toxins out of their system. But it can also make them dehydrated too so has to be used with caution.

7. Miss Lydia

Make sure to keep him dry and warm for now chilling can't be good for him especially if he has lost a lot of weight and has wet feather. Make sure to give him good feed and plenty of fresh drinking water with vitamins and electrolytes in it.

8. Tmgmtm

Tmgmtm In the Brooder

May 22, 2018
    Yes only Drakes and yes my rouen. I've done the ebsin salt bath every day in the AM.

9. Tmgmtm

Tmgmtm In the Brooder

May 22, 2018
    I've been doing this. I guess I thought I would see more improvement.

casportpony likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

If a toxin it is slow recovering depending on what it was. Are his brothers being kind to him? Not pecking or trying to mate, sometimes when one is sick the other birds can take advantage of the situation.

ElleMc and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by