HELP!!! something is wrong with my Mille fleur chicks eye............

xtremechickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Arizona
My lil Mille's eye has had something wrong with it sence we brought her home about 1 weeks ago. When I got her out of the box she had some dirt or straw stuck it her eye. It was starting to look better but now looks like it may be a little more swollen then yesterday. Any help would be great. I have her with a few other chicks, they have left her alone and I haven't seen them bother her eye either. Any idea's what I can do? Thank you, Kristen

Bad eye
DSC_2689.jpg

Good eye
DSC_2687.jpg

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
from Sweet Home Alabama.

It looks like it has been pecked by the others or it could be from the stuff stuck in there. First off flush the eye with saline soultion {contacts lens cleaner} or there is a recipe you can find on this site to make your own. Then apply terramycin eye ointment in there atleast three times a day. You can get the ointment at the local feed store or vets office. Its usually cheaper at the feed stores. The ointment is good to have around for your chicken medicine cabinet.

I would seperate the chicks for a few days just to protect the eye from being aggravated by your other chicks. This should heal your problem up in no time.
thumbsup.gif
It looks to be only a tiny booboo but I bet your chick doesn't think so.
jumpy.gif
Gool luck and let me know if this helps out.

That may be the start of coryza, which is like a chicken cold. If the other chicks were pecking at it, I think it would be more red, and probably bloody. It looks swollen with foam in the corner.

Quote:
I'd have to agree with you. My polish had a terrible swollen/oozing eye a couple of weeks ago (there is a post somewhere in this forum with pictures of her). I flushed it daily with contact lens solution and applied terramycin ointment and it cleared up within a few days. She's been fine since.

NOW one of my banties is very sick with what I think is now Coryza. I'm guessing she picked the virus up from my polish, even though my polish showed no signs of congestion/respiratory problems. My poor banty is so congested. I'm starting her on Tylan injections today (I'm heading out in a few minutes to go pick it up).

Thank you everyone for your help.......I actually do have terramycin. I just used it on some kittens I just rescued so I can get them adopted. I thought about using it on my lil mille but didn't want to hurt it even more. I will also get some Tylan to have here just incase. Thank You all for your advice and I will keep you updated!!!

Kristen and David

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom