Help! Something is wrong with my quackers!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Uncle Gianni, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Uncle Gianni

Uncle Gianni New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Ok, here's the situation. I have four ducks, I'm guessing they're khaki Campbell's, and one of them has been what appears to be forced out of the group. I can't tell why. I can't see any noticeable signs of sickness or injury, except for maybe diarrhea. What is the issue?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @Uncle Gianni

[​IMG]Duck flock dynamics are mysterious. You may want to divide the brooder (with water and food on each side) with temporary fence so that they can see each other but not poke at each other.

Can you describe in more detail what being forced out of the group looks like? Chasing? Feather pulling? Or just, you see this duck a foot away from everyone else who are closer together?. Being kept from the water or food?

3. Uncle Gianni

Uncle Gianni New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    They're free range with my chickens. I coop them up at night and let them out in the morning. I just put them in the coop and the outcast got chased around by another one. I had to shut the light off to stop them. Today was the first day of this. Yesterday they all got along just fine. Feathers haven't been pulled yet.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Watch closely - sometimes conflicts develop, and it's our job to protect every member of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by