HELP!!!!!! Something just went terribly wrong

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wrestling_mom, Jun 9, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    When I went to turn my eggs a few minutes ago, the temp was between 106 and 108. When I turned them at noon, they were at 98. I just panicked, and turned it a sharp turn down, and left the bator open for a few minutes. How long does it take to hit that fatal internal temp? If I candle tonight, and they are still moving, is it a safe hope that all is not lost?

2. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I've had two 106 spikes this week. All is well. Though I did find a blood ring today, but I found out that one of the cats were causing the spikes because she was laying on top of the bator. If you candle and they're still moving, it's safe to say they'll continue to develop. Just keep a closer eye on them.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Mine hit 105 a few times and still had a decent hatch. Make sure to only turn a TAD not a full spine either up or down. Hopefully someone else will chime in!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I will take awhile for the eggs to get that high in temp. How far along is your incubation? Can you candle yet? I have had my incubator spike to 105 and I opened the incubator and turned down the thermostat a tad. I candled and saw movement. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  5. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:I already did that(turned it a LOT) I panicked. What I SHOULD have done was turned it a click, but now it seems to be back to 99.

6. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:Today is day 9

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You should see movement when you candle being at day 9. I usually do my first candle at day 10.

This is an egg I candled at day 10.
    [​IMG]

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I've had a spike of 110 once and a member got on here and reminded me that in TX the temp gets to 110 and not to worry to much about it. So I didn't and I had a 50% hatch rate. Just so you know I also have the temp go down to 86 with the same hatch so I don't think I did to bad.

I hope you do ok and what kind of bator do you have? Mine was a LG I'm so glad I got a better one last Christmas. Good luck. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:Thank You!! It's a still air from Tractor Supply store, not sure of brand.

10. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    [​IMG] all but one were moving, and actually, not sure on the one, so I'll wait and see. Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by