Help! Something reached thru wire and scratched my largest most beautiful hen! It doesn't look bad ,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MollyHens, Nov 21, 2012.

1. MollyHens

MollyHens New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    It doesn't look bad but she's not very active! I cleaned it and put bacitracin on it, it's what I have at the moment. What do you think?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Never used bacitracin before, but if it's like neosporine....that's fine. She might be in shock, keep her seperated in a darker area, give vitamins in her water and some scrambled egg etc to eat. Also put her on a simple antibiotic to fight off infection from the scratch or bite. Animal bites can be fatal if not treated because of the bacteria in the saliva...

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    X's 2 what chickenzoo sez. She is for sure in shock from the trauma..Poor baby..

4. MollyHens

MollyHens New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah must have been shock, she's still a little shaken and she keeps coming inside my house now since I brought her in that night, cutie (looks in windows etc) but back to eating :)

Thank you for advice! It worked! My beloved is well! I've lost too many hens to different predators and mysteries, but this one I'm especially attached to, My Nina! Happy Ending!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by