1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Something ripped a leg off of my day old chicks.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bamaslady, Aug 4, 2013.

1. bamaslady

bamaslady New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    I went out this morning to check on my chicks that my hen hatched yesterday. There were 3 yellow chicks and one black chick. There was one chick dead with a missing leg and another one crying and when I picked it up it was missing a leg too. My hen is free range but I felt I needed to put her and her new chicks in a pin to keep them away from predators. I think a raccoon or something must have gotten under the pin and tried to pull them through and tore their legs off. I don't know what to do. Should I leave the one legged chick in with the other two and the hen or take it out???

2. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Take it out, disinfect it, and wrap it up in medical tape (not too tight, or it won't heal that fast). Change the medical tape preferably every day. Do this for a week or two.

Hopefully this chick will live a good life without a leg. It's sad when these kinds of things happen.

Sorry for you loss! Anyway, hope this helps!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suspect rats in your coop. A pen with hardware cloth would keep rats out.

4. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    If there's a rat in the coop, I'd consider fixing the whole coop myself. In my coop that I'm currently working on, the rats either need to chew through lots of wood, or have a screw driver on hand to get in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by