Help!!!! Something seems to be wrong with my little chick

newchickmom213

In the Brooder
May 16, 2016
North Florida

He/she seemed to be fine an hour ago, running around and eating, now he/she is weak and won't stand. Anything I can do?

Well, while waiting for an answer, I immediately started treatment with Corid. That seemed to do the trick. Little chick is back to his/her perky little self.

Yay! Sometimes we need more information. I only answer if I am pretty sure I can help. Did the chick have unusual stool? There are so many things that can cause a sudden decline in health that details get you more responses.

No abnormal stool. As stated earlier, he was running around one hour and then the next hour he was standing alone in a corner, with his eyes closed and falling over. I picked him up and he just sat in my hands with his eyes closed, making little peeps. I held a little cup in front of him with some corid solution in it and kept dipping his beak in it periodically throughout the night. He has been running around and eating and drinking all day! Yay! I'm currently treating the entire flock with corid for 5 days.

That is very smart! I am glad you were able to find the solution. Oftentimes chickens will not let you know that they are sick until they are at death's door. This can be the hardest part of finding and diagnosing a problem. They hide sickness to keep predators from knowing that they are weak because in the wild the sickest one dies first, and because sometimes the flock will expel a sick bird from the group because they become a liability.

Very interesting. I'm so glad this little guy let me know before he passed. I'm new to chickens, so I don't think I would be able to handle a death yet
1f414.png
. Thank you for responding to my post

I'm so sorry to hear that. At least you gave him your best effort. Medicine is many times an educated guess. I hope the rest of your flock is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom