katelyn19

Chirping
Apr 30, 2017
okay so I had a male and female Pekin. I took care of them at night and came back the next morning to only see the male outside. My female has been sitting on a nest for about two weeks, and was so dedicated I had to get in their own and give her food and water. So I got in and crawled into the house only to find something had broken in and destroyed the nest taking all 14 eggs.(may be graphic) I looked over and saw my female duck but her head had been removed. There was no eggshell or anything. I walked a distance away from my pen and found tiny eggshell pieces and a few feathers and drops of blood all leading to a small-medium sized hole in some brush. My male duck was untouched so I quickly moved him out of the pen. I am truly devestated because I hatched these guys and I think she died tying to protect the eggs she loved so much. What kind of animal would do this? We set traps out, but so far have only caught our curious chickens while they are out during the day. Any ideas would be great.

Most egg eaters eat them in place. Fox will take them and stash them for later, so I would suspect a Fox.

Was the house locked? Do you know how whatever it was got in?

Sorry for your losses.
Thank you, yes the house was locked, but they found a weak patch I didn’t know about and broke in. That makes me wonder if it was a planned out thing on the critters part.

Back
Top Bottom