Help! Something wrong with my Silkie hen

SwartPeper

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2017
Hi all!

I bought a beautiful black Silkie hen (Olive) in December. First of all the person who I bought her from said she was ringed in 2018 and is not laying yet, but when I got home with her I realized she was ringed in 2017. She layed an egg the very next day, so already I was a little concerned about what I was told.

I really want to breed with her, but something seems really wrong. She lays normal eggs and there is nothing wrong with the roo, as he fertilized my other Silkies. I have tried three separate times to incubate her eggs with no success. Where I had no trouble hatching the eggs of my other hens.

Please have a look at the egg on day 7, the air cell is extremely large and moving around?! What can the cause of this be? I would really appreciate any help :)

IMG-20190225-WA0007.jpg

Did the air sac start normal or was it always like this? Maybe it’s partially detached or not enough humidity?
(Also it looks like a clear if it’s on day 7)

All of her eggs look normal on day one (image below) and then never develops. Only change is the big air cell. But the eggs of my other hens are developing normal in the same conditions.

IMG-20190225-WA0008.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if she might be infertile, have you checked the eggs to make sure they’ve been fertilized? The air sac thing is still puzzling though I had a egg kind of like that but the sac changed at day 15 I think the chick wasn’t able to internally pip though.

Back
Top Bottom