Help somethings wrong with my broody.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wildriverswolf90, Feb 20, 2012.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    My girl Autumn was on the nest for 16 days(I had her locked in a medium dog kennel). 4 days ago I opened the door and she came off the nest. I suspect she couldn't get back to her nest. She has lost a lot of weight. Her legs aren't stiff. She can't stand very long and she wobbles/limps when she does walk. She has a good appitite and drinks well. Poo is normal. Feet aren't swollen. Any Ideas?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Usually broodies won't get off their nest much, my hens lost a lot of weight because they wouldn't get up to eat and drink as much as a normal chicken. Their single combs would flop over and they'd shrink. If she has full access to food and water that's good. Make sure there's always food and water for her. Sometimes they'll only get up once a day if they miss their food... well that would be like starving, and they aren't up high on a warm roost.

3. wildriverswolf90

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    She isn't sitting anymore, she gave up the eggs, I put her back on the eggs but she got back off. But she still isn't able to walk or stand for long.

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Was she locked in the whole sixteen days? Did she have room to get up and poop away from the eggs? What about food and water?

Anyone who sat in the same position for 16 days would be stiff and have problems moving around...

Maybe she was only sitting on the eggs because she didn't have anywhere else to go - that's not really being broody. Once you let her out, she said "escape!"

Next time, let your broody get out once a day. If she doesn't stay on the eggs, she's not ready yet.

5. wildriverswolf90

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    No I locked her in after she had been sitting for 5 days, to keep my girls from laying anymore eggs in her nest. She had alil room to move but not much and she had food and water. GREAT I feel horrible :hit :hit :hit What can I do to get her better??

6. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Well I guess she's un-broody now, but you did the right thing to stop other hens from laying in there because if the dates of the eggs layed would effect hatching times.

Sometimes a chicken may look broody but a few days later doesn't feel like being broody, I have noticed in my flock. So wait about a week to see if the hen is really broody.

Just keep feeding and watering your hen, and soon she'll look normal.

And don't feel bad we all make mistakes in poultry keeping.

7. wildriverswolf90

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Thank you guys so much. This morning she seems to be able to move around better, and even ventured outside to take a nap in the sun. So I'm praying she'll get better. I'm keeping nutridrench in the waterer. And I have been feeding scrambled eggs with oats, carrots and spinach. Again thank you all!

8. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    No problem! That's why we're here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by