Help! Something's wrong with my Pullet! - Lethargic, not eating or drinking, seems cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by purplesquirrel, Dec 8, 2014.

1. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    This is my Cream Legbar x Cuckoo maran, Pepper.

In the morning when I let them out, they are normal fighting for their lives to get out to the food bowls first.
    Everyone else did as usual and scampered off down the garden, whilst Pepper just stood there staring into space all hunched up and miserable.

She was shivering so I picked her up and took her down to the 'breakfast area' and she made 2 attempts to peck at the food then just stood there whilst everyone else barged around her stuffing their faces.
    She was still shivering, so I brought her inside, washed her legs in warm water (because they were so muddy) dried them and sat her on a tea towel and gave her lots of hugs and kisses. She just stands/sits there, shivering opening and closing her eyes.
    I've tried tempting her a bit of bread and some sunflower seeds, just makes feeble pecking attempts and then stays all hunched up, as if sulking...

She's now on a blanket in my bedroom, I've made her a small bowl of food and a bowl of warm ish drinking water.
    Since I brought her in she hasn't pooped, which is about an hour.
    I tried putting her outside and fed everyone a bit of bread (which of course, they can't resist) but she just stood there and then hopped back inside the doorway again, shivering.

Does anyone know what is wrong with her or has any ideas?
    I'm really worried, I've never had an ill chicken before :(

[​IMG]

Kate.x

2. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    First I would check her crop to see if it is impacted. In the morning the crop should be empty. Also, feel her abdomen. It should be firm, but not hard or squishy. Keep her inside your house so that she is kept warm. Trying to put her outside with the others will stress her.

3. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom

That's the thing, she has got some stuff in her crop. It's not a lot and it's squishy not hard at all.
    I gave her a soft massage, breaking it up a bit and moving it around it there was a small grass ball or something. They graze casually every day, but they get a lot of grit from the soil they constantly peck at, as well as lots of their pellets. They have access to various bowls of fresh water all over the place too.
    She hopped down from her bed now and is standing beside my bed looking at me, I think she appreciates the company.
    I hope she hasn't found anything in the garden that's blocked her crop, because her crop isn't hard at all, I hope it is just a tough bit of grass or a small branch or something.
    She makes little peeping noises to me every now and then, she's done a bit of preening too, and then goes back to being all hunched up and sad.

She did a little poo just a minute ago, I check it and couldn't find any worms or eggs. Quite a lot of wee compared to poo though :/
    I'll keep her in all day and possibly tonight too, I'm going to give her a hot water bottle in a minute.

What happens if it is a compacted crop? Will she die?? Does it ever sort itself out?
    I raised all 6 of them from eggs myself, a fox got my last lot last year, I can't bear the thought of losing any more

[​IMG]

4. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Is that a bad poo? Couldn't find a poo like this on the web :/

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, that is not normal poop. When I enlarge it it looks like it might have some blood and mucus in it, and the yellow is also not normal. If she's not drinking you will need to tube warmed fluids to her. Can you take her to a vet and have the vet check for coccidiosis, bacteria and worms?

-Kathy

6. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom

I keep giving her crop a massage, she just leans in and closes her eyes, there's nothing hard in there.
    After massaging her for about 10 minutes I stopped, she looked at me and I looked at her and then started scratching at the floor, so I put some small pellets down (suitable for adult bantams) and she gobbled them immediately, and then I put a few more down and she gobbled those up too, then it put some room temp water in a bowl in front of her and she took her first drink today!
    Perked up massively, walking around cooing and pecking at things, doing some more poos that look a bit better...

I live in a city actually (with a massive long garden) I will check my local vet on their website and see if they cater for chickens, I may phone around as well.
    I couldn't see any blood in her poo and I had a good dig around, it may have just been the colour from my camera phone...?
    Could she have worms??

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

8. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom

Thank you I will go and buy some!
    She just did a poo which had very old, rotten coarse grass in it! And she hasn't even been near grass today! I hope more comes out..

9. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Probably a mild crop impaction. I would keep an eye on her crop because she could end up with a more severe impaction.

The yellow caps are excessive urates in her system, which could be from deprivation of water, excessive protein, excessive calcium, or a disease. It could be from her mild crop impaction (during which her system is deprived of water) and her body may not eliminate normally for a while.

Before giving Pepper any drugs, I would thoroughly research and take her to a veterinarian.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Zero risk in giving amprolium.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by