Help! Somthing is hanging out of hen's vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ttclan, Nov 29, 2011.

1. ttclan

ttclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    Estes Park, Colorado
    I have looked at pictures of prolapsed vents and this doesn't look anything like it.

It is hard and long. Almost looks like a bone, there is a hole in one side and goo in it. We tried to gently pull it since we thought it might have been a unformed egg.

As soon as I can figure out how to get my pictures on the computer I will post one, but thought I'd see if anyone had any advice.

Thanks.

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    It may be a malformed egg. Some of the pictures I've seen on here are of very strange looking eggs that don't look like eggs at all. Pictures will help [​IMG]

3. ttclan

Oct 20, 2011
    Estes Park, Colorado
    [​IMG]

sorry, didn't mean for it to be so huge!

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    wish I could say what it is, but I have a hen that happened to almost 2 years ago now...it went away and she lives on and is doing great.

5. ttclan

Oct 20, 2011
    Estes Park, Colorado
    She's behaving just fine. Broody, but okay. She knows I've been watching her. This morning she wouldn't come near enough to catch. Poor girl I caught her twice yesterday. I only checked to see if it was still there this am.

Misspellings due to my "smart" phone.

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Thank you for the picture. I don't have any guesses other than deformed egg material. Perhaps soaking her in a tub of warm water will help her pass whatever it is, just as this helps when they are egg bound. Hopefully others on here will have other advice. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful to you.

7. ttclan

Oct 20, 2011
    Estes Park, Colorado
    BTW - thought I'd send a quick update...
    I didn't get back to doing anything about it for a day and it was gone the next morning, so whatever it was passed and I never saw traces of it around the coop and run either.

Weird...but guessing it was a funky egg.

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Well, I'm glad this turned out well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by