1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Sore on vent after eggbound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dez, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Dez

Dez Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Kissimmee
    Daisy was eggbound last week. I gave her oil soaked bread and the next day the she had laid the egg. The egg was covered in a weird skin membrane with a normal egg inside

She has not laid again and today I see her vent looks swollen and there seems to be a sore on one side (like a chicken hemariod?)

She also has poop down her feathers like she has just been passing watery stool. Her crop is empty like she did not eat today. She seems a bit off and not her usual perky self. My other chicken dosn't seem to be pecking at her at all so I dont think the sore on her bum is from that

I am wondering what I can do for her???

2. Dez

Dez Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Kissimmee
    ok so here is what I did in the meantime..

I washed her sore with iodine and water. I don't have and antibotic cream that dosn't have "pain relief" so I did not use that.

I also filled a small (needless) syringe with mineral oil and injected a small bit into her vent.. Even if she does not have another egg in there the oil will make anything pass more easy (i hope)

After the ordeal, which she took very well.. I gave her a treat of boiled egg, yogert and a drop of poulty vitimins. She ate it all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by