Help! Sour crop or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luckybaby, Mar 28, 2015.

  1. Luckybaby

    Luckybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

    308
    1
    91
    Mar 11, 2014
    I accidentally stepped on my 5-6 months old cockerel head 10 days ago. I checked the area first, before I walk, to make sure I don't step on chickens, however he is close to my foot on that time and I think he put his head just above my foot( there is no food on that area) when I tried to land my foot on the ground. He can't move his right eyelid since several hours after it happened, but his right eye looks normal up to now. He can move his right eyelid slightly since few days ago. I think I only stepped on his head, while it is on the block. Also, I applied antibiotic ointment and betadine on the areas of his head that bleed.

    He still acts normal and eats and drinks a lot of water after I stepped on his head, until yesterday. Yesterday, his crop seems like a ballon, and half full of liquid. He is on my love bird cage, for 7 days, so he definitely have no access to any other food other than the ones I give, and things that enter, or on the cage. At first I thought it was sour crop, but today, after trying to drain the water on his crop, the size of his crop is still the same, and it is 33% larger than yesterday, maybe, because my mom gave her water. He doesn't want to eat, he appears lethargic and sitting with his head pointing on the top. I feed him fenbendazole for 3 consecutive days and I administered the first dose 4 days ago. I think I overdosed him( I gave a lot more than 20mg/kg), but I don't think that caused the crop problem. What are the symptoms of fenbendazole toxicity on chickens( give a link)?

    I have a chicken that is 2-3 months old that died. 2 days before he died, he began looking lethargic and doesn't want to eat, and his crop is hard, and it is filled with air.
     
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Luckybaby

    Luckybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

    308
    1
    91
    Mar 11, 2014
    I tried to make him vomit today, and I saw feed and water came out. The smell of his mouth is slightly sour, but it is not stink. I think he have sour crop. However, I don't know why his head is pointing 60-70 degrees towards the sky. I never had a chicken with a symptom that is like, and I don't know why he is doing that. His crop is not so big, maybe only half filled when compared to the maximum capacity. His crop is now less than the size of it's crop few hours ago.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by