HELP! Splash silkie has bloody bottom and laid a blue/green egg

TinyBirds

Songster
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Texas
My splash silkie was acting strange the past few days, just sitting in the corner of the coop. If I took her out to the feeder, she would eat, but then just go back to hanging out in the corner (face to the corner). I was already worried about her at that point, but then today it got worse. She had blood all over the feathers around and below her vent (bright red blood - not pouring out but just didn't look good). Then I put her in a sick-crate we have in the field. Well, I just went to put her in the garage for the night where it's warm, and found she'd laid a blue/green egg in the crate. It was also covered in bloody splotches. I washed off the egg and it's definitely blue/green like an easter-egger. Is that because it took her so long to push it out? It wasn't very big or anything - just regular silkie-size. Help! I'm worried about her. She's the same one that got pooped on by a turkey when she was younger, and it took an hour to give her a full bath to get the poop off. She has always been the sweetest most gentle thing. I don't remember where I got her, but probably hatched from eggs from someone on this forum. I don't think anyone has silkies that lay blue/green eggs like that normally, so I figure it's a sign of a problem!

Sorry I guess I should clarify where the blood is coming from. She has no broken or torn skin. I think the blood must just be coming out of her vent and getting on her feathers. I have a pecked-bird also (a welsummer) but it's a totally different situation. Thanks!!

Update: She now has a bad case of prolapse. I put honey on it (had read to do that on the forum before) and will try to push it back in. Poor sweet girl!

I've read that a bird with prolapse is a result of 2 differant causes. One is feeding the chick with high protein food, causing the bird togrow to quickly before its normal time resulting blowout. The other case is a genetic factor in the silkie. Your remedy is correct and I sure hope she heals. I have 2 silkies also, and they are the sweetest birds ever. Great broodies and the rooster's are not intimidated whatsoever!!!!!!

Hi Jenny! I've never had a prolapsed hen here, but found this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20555
Flush the area well with sterile saline (boil 1 quart water for five minutes with 1/4 tsp salt and cool) If you have gloves (the throw away kind) that is good because it is important to keep all as clean as possible....
smear the prolapse with KY jelly (suppose you could use vaseline but the KY gel is first choice) and gently replace.
After replacing smear the cloaca and a wee bit inside the rim with Preparation H (Theis will help shrink the area and hopefully help to keep all in)
Place bird in a darkened room , stable temp and quiet... keep it dark .

I hope she straightens out. She's a silkie feathered green-egger.
Good luck!
Lisa​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom