Help spralded legs no pipe cleaner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brkuk, Jan 27, 2009.

1. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    My last chicks leg looks backwards and out to the side. Should I tie them together with bread ties and put in a glass. Please help. Any pics would help.

2. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I have never heard of that before. It would be interesting if it works. I have heard that it is a vitamin deficiency and if you add vitamins to the water within the first day or two, or get baby poly vi sol without iron and give it to them that it should help.
    Hope your baby gets better soon!

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I tape the legs together with a band aid. Rap the sticky parts, one on each leg. The cotton part is just the right width to have its legs where they should be an it still lets them move them an walk.

4. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

5. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    Thanks for link it helped out tons. I was freaking out. The chick would not stand or walk much. All 9 other are just fine. She was the biggest egg. Thanks everyone for the help. By the way I used yarn to tie them together.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Just make sure the yarn does not cut off the blood supply to the feet. That is an old trick my grandmother showed me before she died 30 years ago.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I tried tying my chick's legs together when I had one like that, I found the band-aid method to be much easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by