HELP!! Squawking 4 weeks old chicks......

jbatchelder

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
We have two girls and they are still in the brooder box, moving them outside soon into the coop, however, we thought we would dim the light in the room (not the heat lamp, all done with that) to get them ready for dark outside, and they are going NUTS!!!!! We try to dim the light a little more each night but they chirp like crazy and the kids are complaining because they cant sleep with the noise..... What am I doing wrong?? PLease help, new to all this!!!

Last edited:
The chicks are just scared. Mine did that, too. Right now I have been watching them try to get settled for their second night outdoors. They still huddle together and peer/squawk as the darkness falls. Poor little scaredy chicks.

The cheeping/squawking should dissipate as they acclimate to the darkness.

Should I wait until they go outside to get them used to this, or just put in ear plugs??
smile.png

Our chicks were in the sunroom in our house and we slept upstairs so the racket wasn't much of a problem for us....

I sleep with earplugs most of the time anyway;)

From what I remember, we were encouraged to turn the light out for 30 minutes each night from the very beginning. I think you could probably "wean" them off the light by doing the same thing....

Mine are presently outside in the coop peeping and huddling as the sun sets. They get quiet as darkness falls...eventually.

Mine have been gettin used to no lights at night for about two weeks now. They have finally decided that they are not going to die without the light5 and are quiet at night-time....they go to bed better than the kids
lau.gif

Just snapped this picture of the chicks...I am so proud that they managed to find their way to the roost for the night...last night they huddled in a pile next to the door.

At least tonight they are up on the roost/ledge huddled together...baby steps....

photo-10.jpg

I've been trying a 25 watt red bulb - it is a bit darker and closer to a night light than anything else. And my girls (hope they are all girls) seem to quiet down with it on and know that means "bed" time.

Good luck.

Louella

Back
Top Bottom