1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Squirrel Infestion

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dulcijean, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Dulcijean

Dulcijean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I can't even feed my free range hens without the squirrels bullying the hens away from the food until it is all gone. These squirrels like cyanne pepper. I'd shoot the squirrels, but shooting guns is illegal where I live. Also, I don't really want to kill them, I just want them away.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have been dealing with evil squirrels for years. The decimated my grape crop, stole all my apples (I only have 2 small trees), toke all my pears, and dig up every single plant I try to put in the garden...edible or not.

I am currently looking up recipes and shopping for traps [​IMG]

3. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

I had this problem too for a while when my chickens were free rangeing.
    I'd have to feed the chickens and stand there with them while they ate or did things close by where the pesky rodents could see me!

4. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Our cats catch and eat squirrels.....

5. [​IMG] Pesky little turds.
    I would get a cat that likes to chase the critters. Cats generally do not mess with a full grown chicken.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have 3 cats. 2 are too old to chase squirrels. Our baby boy is too stupid to know what to do when he sees one :p

7. Dulcijean

Dulcijean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I have two cats and two dogs. They no longer care about chasing sqirrels that always get away.

8. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My cat LOVES squirrel....she'll hunt them every time she sees them. I'm always in shock when I see her drag it down from the tree.

A BB gun is illegal where you're at? Here I thought air rifles weren't illegal anywhere.

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I have quite a few ferals that keep our property free of all rodents, if anybody is looking for kittens...ahem.[​IMG]

10. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Pellet gun, some garlic salt and fry it like a chicken.

Yes people still eat Squirrels. [​IMG]

Tastes kinda nutty [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by