Help! Staggered hatch in incubator -lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ccusker, Dec 27, 2010.

1. ccusker

ccusker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    Hi...I'm brand-new and really have a mess on my hands. This summer I adopted 2 young frizzles and a silkie hen with chicks. Well, ended up with 2 roosters and 3 hens. We started getting eggs early December, put the first one in the fridge, cracked second one to realize they were fertile eggs. My husband ran out and got an incubator (we're in upstate NY and it's COLD!). We put refrigerated egg in there, and have been putting eggs in there as they come. We have 13 in there now...I see large masses when candling, so I think they are growing? Problem is, some eggs are near hatch, others are very young.

Anyways, we didn't realize the whole lock-down thing...now we have eggs of various ages! I feel quite irresponsible and am not sure what to do. Egg #1 was 21 days (since laid) on xmas...but only 21 days in incubator as of today. No signs of pipping yet. Don't want to over-humidify other eggs, but as these are the hen's first eggs, shells are porous and could probably use all the help they can get when nearing hatch-day.

This may be a lost-cause...does anyone have any insight/advice on how I should proceed?

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I have had chicks hatch at the normal 40% incubating humidity. If you go very high you run the risk of drowning the other eggs or having the others hatch with all sorts of disabilities. Don't open the incubator for anything and see what hatches.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG]
    I would keep turning the other eggs and not touch the egg that might hatch.
    Overall I hope you have a wondeful hatch-keep me updated! [​IMG]

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, how did it all turn out then? I'd really like to know...

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

6. ccusker

ccusker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    Well, sorry to say, none hatched. Since then though, we've had two very successful hatches! Our last group we used an egg turner which I feel made a huge difference! That hatch was staggered by 1 week... Once oldest eggs went on lockdown, we catered to their needs and still ended up with 3/4 of the younger eggs hatching! So sorry I never updated! Thanks for pm :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by