HELP STEER CALF EATING EMUS!!!

beezer1999

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 14, 2015
I have a 5 month old steer calf that I have to keep with my emus in their same pen. My emus are 11 months and 8 months old the calf keeps going right up to the emus and pulling huge clumps of feathers right out of them! And he he swallows the feathers! please someone help what can i DO!

Very unique situation, I have a few ideas but don't know if they will work.

1. Get some rooster booster anti pick from Tractor Supply and place a few daps all over the area that the calf usually bites at but don't get the birds all wet just enough were the calf will have a nasty surprise when he bites again.

2. You could also set up a temporary fence to keep them apart.

3. Make sure they have separate food and water areas so that they both get enough to eat and don't have to be near each other.(maybe the calf is plucking the feathers to keep them away from "his" food.

Well that's all i got besiedes completely separate them hope something works.

Have you got any loose minerals in that pen for the steer to eat? If not, provide some now and it just might make a difference. Nice loose minerals and coarse salt may do the trick. I like to use kelp meal and coarse salt.

is the steer bored is the pen to small is there feed for both type animals give plenty hay just cannt see a animal have its feather s pulled out and not move before split the pen or get rid of one or the other you cannt have animals of different kind mix togather in small area not right to the ones getting hurt

Back
Top Bottom