Help! Still not laying....the last word was they were pullets..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blewinmoon, Dec 9, 2010.

1. blewinmoon

blewinmoon New Egg

Oct 10, 2010
    Hello chicken community,
    The last i posted about a month ago was that these were pullets that were about to lay. We rescued our flock from a pretty shady chicken lady and thought we were getting 5 hens...2 older hens..one is a roo..he just learned to crow and he is cool I am happy to have him, the other older one has been laying for since we got them..so now there are these three.....we have had them for 3 months and the shady lady said that they should be laying by thanksgiving...what do you expert chicken peeps think???? I wish I was confident enough to sex..one day..

thanks for your support on this journey of chicken rendering!

love, light and hopefully eggs soon.

Let me know if better photos would be helpful..they are challenging to photograph as I am sure you know [​IMG]

B

#1[​IMG]
    #2[​IMG]
    #3[​IMG]
    #2 upclose and #1 in background[​IMG]

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I'm thinking a couple of those are roos. Looks like spurs starting on one, and the tails look rooish. That being said, we are entering the shortest days of the year, and thus without added light, probably less laying... I am sure experts will chime in. Good luck!

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    The top two photos are roosters, not sure about the bottom two but I'm thinking roosters also. Sorry.

4. blewinmoon

blewinmoon New Egg

Oct 10, 2010
    How can you tell?? Is it the tail feathers? The bottom photo is a close up the first two...

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    They look like young roos to me as well. The way I tell is the pointy hackle feathers(neck area) and looks like some in the saddle as well. They also have large wattles.

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    The bottom two are definite roos. See the shiny, slick feathers? #1 is iffy, I can't see saddle feathers, even if it does look rooish - but darker patterns are usually female.

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    So these are supposed to be 22+ weeks? Have they grown significantly while you've had them?

I'm leaning towards them being younger than you were told and male, rather than female.

8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    all roos sorry

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry, you have 3 cockerels.

10. blewinmoon

blewinmoon New Egg

Oct 10, 2010
    Thank you! thank you! thank you!!! We talked to the shady chicken lady and she is soo surprised they are roos, she is willing to exchange for egg laying hens. Are there any noticeable signs of a hen reaching the end of her egg laying prime?

love, light and gratitude.
    B

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by