1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help stop the debate... Are these two Girls or Boys? Also what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wigodsky Chicks, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Wigodsky Chicks

Wigodsky Chicks New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Hello experts...help us solve the debate that we have been having for weeks. We need an expert opinion. We bought these chicks from the "pullet" bin at TSC on March 1 and suspect 7-8 weeks old. We bought 3 pullets and 3 production red pullets. The reds are all girls and the white ones...well we aren't sure what they are. I have pictures of them below with a comparison of the one that I think is a girl. The 2 in question, i think are boys but DH thinks girls. These chicks have some tree trunks for legs. They just sit, eat, drink and poop. They are already very heavy to hold compared to the red girls. They don't roost on the bar we put in their brooder and are very lazy.
    Please help stop this debate!

[​IMG]

Chicken 1

[​IMG]
    Chicken 2

[​IMG]
    chicken 2 tail feathers

[​IMG]
    Chicken 1

[​IMG]
    The one i think thats a girl.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Feet

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Look like meat birds to me. CX?

3. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah, I agree.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rooster and pullet cornish cross. They're bred for meat production and need some special attention if you want to try to keep them as pets, they tend not to live long lives due to their extreme weight gain. Search around for cornish cross as pets, also on the meat bird section.

5. Wigodsky Chicks

Wigodsky Chicks New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Ok, stupid question. How is their egg production? Or are they just for meat? If just for meat...looks like we will learn to process alot sooner than we thought. I think I may have won this debate...

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're mostly for meat and if you're not adverse to eating them that would probably be your best bet. They're prime for butcher around 8 weeks.

They do lay, and some folks have had decent success keeping them til a year or so by restricting feed and strongly encouraging free ranging. Personally, I need to look at feed/egg conversion and they'd eat too much to maintain and produce vs a hatchery layer bred hen. So, I couldn't see the profit in keeping them as layers. Plus, they're prone to sudden death, then your investment is down the drain.

7. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    You have two cornish/rock roos and one cornish/rock hen. I had a cornish/rock hen who layed pretty well for a few years but they are really best for eating.

8. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Does the first chicken have a cross beak?

Make sure you put the food and water on opposite sides of the pen. That way they are encouraged to walk a little :rolleyes: . Other wise they will park themselves inbetween the two and just sit there and eat. They have been breed to gain weight fast, so they eat a lot of food (and poop a lot). They should reach fryer/broiler size at 6-8 weeks. At 4 weeks, they could have been cornish game hens. If they gain weight too fast they can even break a leg. :/

If you don't plan on roasting them whole, I just skin mine so you don't have to pluck all the feathers. I cut the legs at the joints, cut off the wings, and then fillet of the breast. Don't even have to clean them out either if you cut them up. :D Mine will be ready in about 2 weeks.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    cornish crosses

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by